Chapter 34

I have a long soak in the bath with a couple of glasses of wine and read my book in peace. Then I lie in front of the TV. I'm completely relaxed and enjoying my own company.

Daniel and I have text a couple of times. But I've told him just to enjoy the night and I will see him soon.

At 9.10pm my door buzzer rings and I smile because this is the latest he has ever been once he has given me a time. I must admit I'm a little disappointed he's come back because he messaged earlier to say that a couple of old friends had turned up, so I thought he might have made a night of it. Oh well, I'm sure he can make it up to me.

I press the release button. I don't bother to speak because I know it'll be him and I open the front door ready. I hear footsteps approach and feel the smile spread across my face – I guess I really have missed him.

The smile disappears from my face when Ed turns the corner and steps confidently into my flat.

"Hello Elizabeth. Expecting someone else?" I'm completely frozen to the spot and I can practically feel the blood drain from my face. He closes the door behind him. He stands proudly in front of me, like we have never been apart.

"What are you doing here?" I take a step back from him and retreat into my living room, but he is quick to close the gap between us. Ed moves fluidly, almost cat-like. He wears a smug smile on his face that makes my hairs stand on end.

"I wanted to see you. Things were left so unpleasant the other day, don't you agree?" He looks so charming, he could fool the devil himself into believing he is a nice guy.

I don't respond, I can't at the moment. My mind is whirling at the speed of light trying to decide what to do. All I know is that he is between me and the only way out of here.

"It's so good to see you. Two years I've been looking for you Elizabeth... not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about you, my darling." Fuck, fuck, fuck... think Lizzie I plead with myself as my brain refuses to function. 

He watches me intently as my eyes flit to the door, but still I say nothing.

"I'm just here to talk, my love. I need to explain something. Get something off my chest if you like. You leaving changed me... well to be frank with you Elizabeth, it broke me." He speaks so gently, but I will not be fooled.

He reaches out to touch me and I pull back, repulsed by the thought of his hands on me. He raises his hands defensively and sits down on my settee, resting both of his arms casually across the back of the settee.

"Please sit down Elizabeth. You know I never did like it when you hovered." I follow his command without thinking and sit down in the chair opposite him. I can feel my chest starting to tighten and little sweat beads begin to form on the centre of my back. I ensure that I keep my face neutral. He regards me with curiosity at my failure to react.

My phone beeps on the table and Ed picks it up before I can get to it. Although I want to snatch it out of his hands, I don't fight him because I know Daniel will be here soon. If I grab my phone from him now, it will make things worse. I just retreat from him and sit back on the chair.

He nods at the screen, quickly presses a few buttons and then places it back on the settee. Please hurry home Daniel, I silently pray.

"Look Elizabeth. I'm not here to play games. I am a different man now. I want you to come home with me so I can show you how I've changed." I can't help it, I laugh out loud in complete shock. Ed simply maintains his stare. "You and I are soul mates; we're destined to be together. How many times have I told you that you belong to me? I've changed for you. I'm a better man. You will see. I want you to come home."

Before I have chance to process what he has just said to me, anger rises up in my chest, spreading heat across my body. I feel something inside me snap. "No!" I spit back at him.

"No?" He mimics me and then sniggers, attempting to belittle me in my own home. I know this routine, Ed trying to humiliate me. He used to do this in public whenever I had an opinion that was different to his and each time I would back down because I knew to react would not be worth the consequences. But not this time, I repeat to myself over and over like a mantra.

"You heard me. I don't belong to anyone. I built this life ...me. It's mine and no-one can take it away from me." Ed leans forward and rubs his hands together in front of him. I can see the familiar anger bubbling just below the surface while he tries to compose himself. Changed man, my arse! Come on Daniel, where are you?

"You have been able to create this life because I have allowed you to, my love. I knew you needed to get all of this..." he waves his hands around the room flippantly, "out of your system after what happened. Now I've found you, it's time to go home and maybe now we're ready to be a family."

How fucking dare he. "After what happened? Do you hear yourself?" I scream at him.

He takes some deep breaths and I can see that he is fighting the monster that lurks just beneath the surface. "Yes after the accident I understand now that you needed some time."

"That was no fucking accident." I'm trying to remain calm so I can stay ahead of him, but how fucking dare he bring it up.

"I see that fucking Daniel Weston has given you some unfounded confidence. You look like his whore in those photographs Elizabeth. You have embarrassed yourself and me for that matter. You have forgotten how to behave. You think someone as shallow as him could ever love someone like you? Women throw themselves at him every single day, you will be nothing special to him. Whereas I love you, my darling." Ed shouts wildly at me, standing up in his building rage. I stand up too, refusing to yield for the first time in my life.

"It won't work this time Ed; you have no power over me anymore. We were over a long time before I found you with her. I was dead inside and that was because of you. I know now it was your fault, not mine – you destroyed me and took EVERYTHING away from me." My hand protectively drops to my side to cover my scar and I see that Ed's gaze rests on my stomach. I'm on a roll now, unable to stop even if I wanted to. "But I feel alive now and I'm happy. I have my parents, a good job, amazing friends, my own home and I have Daniel."

I'm infuriated. All of the years of fear and shame rush to the surface. The memories of what I've blamed myself for over the last two years threaten to overwhelm me, but I refuse to be his victim ever again. I want my words to hurt him like his have crushed me so many times.

"Daniel is there for me, he doesn't try to change me. He doesn't try to control me. He doesn't hurt me. You might think I look like a whore with Daniel, but I don't care what you think. Your opinions mean nothing, you mean nothing. I would rather be his whore than your wife." Tears are freefalling down my face. But they're not from shame, sadness or fear; they are from a place of pure unadulterated rage.

- so... what do you think about this chapter??? What are views of Ed? What do you think of Lizzie's reaction? What do you think will happen next?

Please vote if you are enjoying it. Thanks, as always -