Chapter 48

I have no idea how many more drinks I've had, but all I allow myself to think about is the steady beat of the music. I try to look at my watch to see what time it is, but I can't decide which of the three watches in front of me to focus on. It's late I think with a shrug and give up.

I drunkenly watch Sarah march past me towards the edge of the dance floor. As if I am underwater I follow the direction she is walking and then ... then I see him. He is wearing a plain white shirt and dark jeans. His hair is styled, but I can see that he must have been running his hands through it because it looks so messy.

My heart begins to pound in my chest while I witness him pleading with Sarah. I can see the frustration on his face while Sarah shakes her head and dramatically points towards the exit. Daniel doesn't budge an inch. I'm not sure if he's seen me yet within the crowd of people. I don't want to face him in my drunken state, so I leave the dance floor and quickly stride towards the exit to get away before he sees me.

I feel someone grab my arm and spin me round. For the first time in two weeks I'm face to face with the man who has destroyed my soul and it's more than I can handle. I'm not sure if it's the alcohol or Daniel, but my balance falters a little. His strong arms stabilise me and he tries to pull me to him.

For a split second I feel my body soften into his embrace, but then I remember what he did and I feel totally enraged. I'm not sure if I'm furious with him thinking he can just turn up when his conscious has caught up with him or myself for my obvious weakness when he is around. I jerk myself from his grip and meet his desperate eyes with a furious stare. My chest is heaving as I struggle to remain in control.

"Lizzie-" He starts, but I cut him off. I don't want to hear it... I can't hear it.

"I can't do this." Tears pool in my eyes, but I make sure that my voice is unwavering.

"Please Lizzie, let me explain-"

I cut him off again. "No!" I shout and Sarah attempts to step in between us. But I don't need her to and I move around her. He has to know that the time for talking has passed. "How dare you! How dare you turn up here!"

"I need to talk to you." He looks at me seriously and gestures for me to follow him. He steps away, presuming that I will follow him. Well, not this time.

"I don't care whether you want to talk to me now. I tried to talk to you Daniel, I was ready to listen to whatever shit Lucy had done. I was there for you..." I take a deep breath to steady my voice. He reaches out to touch my arm but I shrug him off. "But you turned on me for no reason. I'd done nothing but love you and you threw me away. It doesn't matter what was in that fucking report, I was right there for you. But you forced me not only to leave the hotel but to come home on my own without even an explanation. You told me you didn't want me anymore, that it was over, remember? So you've lost your chance Daniel, I don't want to hear it." I'm screaming at him, all the hurt flooding to the surface.

"I think you've done enough, don't you?" Sarah shouts at him, right up in his face. But Daniel ignores her and doesn't take his eyes off me.

"But I love you Lizzie." I see red and I slap him... hard. He doesn't even flinch, even as his cheek turns a deep scarlet red.

"Don't you ever say that to me again... you discarded me like I was nothing to you. If you ever cared for me, then just leave me alone."

He doesn't say another word, he just nods and walks away from me ... again.

"Come on Lizzie, let's get you home." Caroline puts her arm around me and leads me out of the club. This time I don't even feel the bitterly cold air.

Caroline and Sarah stay with me. I'm an absolute wreck and for once I don't try and hide it and I don't try to be strong. Neither of my best friends are able to console me.

"Talk to me." Caroline whispers as she holds me.

"Oh Caroline, he's broken my heart. I don't know how I'm going to be able to take my next breath let alone live the rest of my life without him."

"You will get through this; you are stronger than you know."

- hey! So what do you think about their confrontation?

Not sure if Daniel picked the best moment?!?!

Please let me know what you think and tick the little star if you're enjoying it -