Chapter 46

Later that evening I'm still sitting on the floor against the front door, trapped in my own head.

My door buzzer rings pulling me back to reality, but I ignore it. My phone is off, so I know whoever it is cannot reach me. The buzzer then starts to ring over and over. I don't want to see anyone, so I cover my ears like a child and hope whoever it is will take the hint.

My hopes are dashed when I hear Sarah screeching from the street below my window.

"Lizzie... I know you can hear me. I swear to God if you do not open this fucking door, I will break it down."

I slowly get to my feet knowing that she will not stop. I have not budged for hours and my stiff body screams at me for moving again.

I open the door. Sarah doesn't say a word, she just wraps herself around me. I immediately sob into her arms. Once I'm done she steps back, shows me a bottle of tequila and smiles sympathetically.

"I'm here to drink tequila with you, so no pressure. But if and when you're ready to talk, I'm ready to listen." I love her.

I nod and get the shot glasses from the kitchen. I toss back shot after shot, feeling the burn each time. I need to be drunk before I can talk about the last twenty four hours of my disaster of a life.

"He just told me to get out..." I slur. "Just to get the fuck out! Can you understand him? I can't?" I down my current shot of tequila and furiously shake my head. "Just said, sorry Lizzie but we're over... just like that." I mimic his deep voice. I then try to snap my fingers several times but my hands will not cooperate, so I decide to clap for emphasis instead. Shit... I'm so pissed.

Sarah just shakes her head. "I don't understand. What the hell was in that report?"

"Welcome to my world." I lift my glass in another toast clumsily spilling some of the tequila down my front, before I down it and feel the now familiar burn.

"You should have read it once he'd gone. Then at least you'd know why he was being such a prick." Sarah downs her shot and immediately refills her glass.

"I just needed to get out of there. He doesn't want me anymore. Why should I have stayed to read it when he was so fucking vile? He told me to go back to my ordinary life... so I have." I nod to myself and then I look over to Sarah, expecting her to defend him.

"Selfish motherfucker!" She raises her glass to meet mine.

"Selfish motherfucker." I agree and clink her shot glass before we both down our shots.

Caroline arrives a little later and the room is spinning. "I'll get you some water." She says as she looks me up and down.

"Hi to you too Caroline." I wave sarcastically at her and Sarah bursts into a fit of giggles.

When she returns she hands me a pint of water. "Down that." She orders as she passes me the glass. "Sarah, look at the state of her. You're such a bad influence." Caroline scolds Sarah, but she just blows her a kiss in response.

"You're so so.... bossy." She glares at me and I know by the look she gives that I had better do as I'm told.

An empty bottle of tequila later and Caroline checks her phone. She quickly sits up, looking at us in alarm.

"There are new pictures of Daniel on the red carpet from tonight..." She frowns as she focuses on the screen.

"I don't want to see him." I respond immediately. The thought of seeing him in his fitted grey suit when I should be next to him showing the world how committed we are to each other breaks my heart all over again.