Chapter 32

The rest of the afternoon drags at a snail's pace, despite how busy I am. I'm aware that Daniel boarded his flight on time, so I'm comforted to hear that he will be there to pick me up.

Sure enough, at 5.05pm I receive a message to let me know that he is waiting for me outside work as promised. Even though I know my past is affecting our relationship, my heart still instinctively races at the thought of seeing him two days earlier than planned.

Somehow I've managed to compose myself during the afternoon. With the help of my trusty make up bag, I almost look normal. Even though every fibre in my being tells me to curl up and hide, I force myself to walk slowly and confidently to Daniel's waiting car with my head held high. I'm not even sure if Ed will be watching me or whether he's had his fun and is now back in Manchester. But if he is he will see that I'm calm and collected – on the outside anyway.

Daniel's hand strokes my cheek tenderly as soon as the passenger door is closed and pulls me closer to him so that he can gently kiss me. I breathe in his familiar scent and my pounding heart stills for an idyllic, but fleeting moment. He rests his forehead against mine for a few seconds. I enjoy the peaceful moment between us after the events of earlier today. Daniel then takes my face again in his hands so that I look at him.

"I'm sorry I wasn't here, but I am now." I kiss him passionately to try and reassure him that I'm fine, but to my frustration he pulls away.

"It's OK. I don't want you to be sorry for anything; none of this is your fault. It's my problem." I know I sound like a total bitch, but I know I will need to sort this mess out on my own – I have to.

"We're a team Lizzie; don't ever say that it's not my problem. I want to be a part of everything in your life, the same as I want you a part of mine."

"Is that why I had to hear from Harriet that you had hired a Private Investigator to help with your divorce because Lucy is after your money?" Fuck, fuck, fuck - I don't know why I'm picking a fight after he's flown back from Ireland for me. But it's pissed me off that he is telling me he wants to know everything about me when he is keeping secrets too. I regret my choice of words as soon as they are out of my mouth, but I know I cannot take them back.

"I was going to tell you. I met with him when you were still deciding whether you wanted to give us a chance. I didn't want to complicate things further when you had withdrawn from me. I wasn't willing to risk losing you again. Then we went to L.A and I was planning on telling you. But the whole Charlie thing happened and then we seemed to finally be committed to each other. I was fucking scared Lizzie... I'm also painfully aware that you're struggling with the public side of my life and that's something I can't control." I wince knowing that I'm being unfair. "So forgive me if I choose not to mention the developments on my fucked up divorce once your ex-husband made an appearance. I just didn't want to burden you with the fact that my soon to be ex-wife is the money grabbing bitch everyone told me she was. She expects me to roll over and give her half of everything I have earned and will ever earn, even though she fucking left me." He slams both hands off the steering wheel and runs his hands through his hair in frustration. I feel awful that I've started our first argument when it's not even Daniel I'm angry with.

"I'm sorry for bringing that up now. I'm not thinking straight. I don't want to fight." I wipe the tears roughly away because not only do I not want to look weak, I bloody well do not want to feel weak. I take a deep breath and pass the note to Daniel to change the subject. "I've had some more flowers today and this note was with them." I watch while he reads the note, his jaw sets into a hard line. His brow furrows deeply.

"I will sort this out for you. Do you have any idea where I can find him?"

"No." I almost shout. "Please don't go after him, he would love the attention. He will get bored when he realises that I'm not the same person anymore. I'm not willing to play his games and I'm not prepared to let him win." Daniel nods and pulls out into the traffic, but I know that the conversation is far from over.

We drive in silence, both lost in thought while Daniel weaves through the busy London traffic. I grip his hand as it rests on my thigh. I steal a glance at him and guiltily wish for just a second that he could be a normal guy with a normal job. If he was, then maybe Ed would not have found me.

My inappropriate wish passes over me as quickly as it appeared when I watch him concentrate on the road. He has worry and concern clearly embedded across his handsome face. I know that despite how nervous I am of the press and how everyone thinks they are entitled to have an opinion about us, I wouldn't change him.

Regardless of my dark mood my heart flutters at the feelings I have for him, but I push them back down. I need to think clearly. Ed would have found me eventually, he always promised me as much. If things were bad between us he would often tell me that because we were destined to be together, he would always find me if I left him, no matter where I went or how long it took him. How stupid of me to think that I could be free of him and start a new life with Daniel.

"Does he know where you live?" Daniel's question brings me back to reality with a start.

"I don't think so, the only contact I've had with him is at work." He drives to my flat, but makes me stand outside while he checks each room. Obviously with the size of my flat, it doesn't take him very long. I'm tired of feeling helpless because I'm not anymore and I don't want Daniel to feel differently towards me. This is the main reason that I kept my past away from Daniel, I want him to see me as the woman I am now and not the girl who was married to Ed. I need to show him that I'm strong enough to deal with this and in all honesty seeing Ed again has made me realise I know I am. I know I'm ready to deal with whatever he has planned.

"Fancy a cuppa?" I make my way to the kitchen and grab some mugs.

"Yes please." He wraps his arms around my waist and I immediately relax into him standing behind me. He rests his chin on my shoulder and I breathe in the familiar scent of him. I make a silent promise, in this perfect moment of tranquillity standing in my little kitchen that Ed will not beat me. After all he took from me - he will not destroy the life I have built.

"Whenever you're ready to talk about what really happened I'm here and I promise that nothing will scare me away. I've though a lot about this. I won't push you, but please don't shut me out. We can work through whatever is going on together." I'm too scared to admit that I don't want to confess that the reason I can't tell him is because it will change us. It will change the way he looks at me. It will change the way he feels about me. Part of me is convinced that if he knows the person I really am, then he will leave.

"Thank you and the same goes about Lucy and your divorce. I want to be there for you too... if you'll let me." He nods and crosses his heart like he is promising to tell me the whole truth from now on – I wish I could make the same promise. I need to change the subject, we are both exhausted. "Now about that tea."

We don't mention Ed for the rest of the evening and when Caroline calls to check on me Daniel fills her in because I'm sick of talking about him. I hear all about Daniel's new film over several glasses of wine and a frozen pizza. It still fascinates me to hear about his job and that he can pretend to be someone completely different for a while – I'm a little jealous.

He tells me he can't wait for me to visit him on set once filming starts properly in a few months which fills my heart with such hope that we will be OK. Once we are in bed Daniel moves to hold me tightly to him, but it's not enough for me. I need to feel him and I need him to want me.

I turn over and kiss him passionately. "God, I've missed you." I whisper as I nip, suck and kiss down his chest. He flips me over so that he is back in control and in what I can only be described as carnal need, he enters me and I gasp at the sensation and dig my fingernails into his back. We make love slowly before I fall asleep peacefully in Daniel's arms and my talisman keeps the nightmares away.

- hey. What do you think of the developments between Lizzie and Daniel? Please vote and I'm looking forward to hearing what you think -