Chapter 4

Daniel shrinks in my rear view mirror as I drive away. When he reaches his car he turns, with his hands in his pockets to watch me drive off the forecourt. His white t-shirt clings to his sculpted body and even from this distance he makes my knees feel weak. I grudgingly turn the corner and he is gone - forever I guess.

I drive towards Caroline's flat and replay our encounter over and over again, the faint scent of his aftershave still lingering in my senses. I honestly don't think I have ever had such a physical reaction to a man before. It must be because I've had a silly crush on him for so long and he is absolutely gorgeous. But then I think there was a spark between us - I felt it, I'm sure I did.

I try to compose myself when I enter Caroline's street. The intense feeling has faded and now I just feel a bit silly. I bet he is friendly towards everyone he meets, especially anyone he thinks might be a fan. I find a parking space and then empty my boot of all of my bags. I'm so excited to tell the girls because I know they both love him too. As I lean over the back seat to grab my dresses, I notice the bottle of Veuve Clicquot on my back seat. I pick it up as if it could explode and stare at it in disbelief. I had no idea that he had put it in the back seat while he spoke to me and my damaged heart swells unexpectedly, taking my breath away.

While I bound up the steps to Caroline's flat I know I have a stupid grin on my face and I don't care. I knock the door a little excitedly and Sarah immediately opens the door. She looks me up and down and frowns at me suspiciously.

"You look happy, what's happened?"

I wink at her. "Hi Sarah" I say as I squeeze past her and stroll into the open plan lounge, then through to the kitchen with Sarah trailing behind me. I put the champagne in the fridge, but when I turn round both Sarah and Caroline are standing right behind me leaning on the counter.

"Spill" is all Sarah says as she passes me a glass of prosecco.

I tell them both everything and they sit there wide eyed.

"Daniel fucking Weston." Sarah laughs as she clinks my glass in a toast to him. Caroline on the other hand is her usual inquisitive self and is ready to analyse everything.

"What did he mean by it was nice to meet you?" she looks deep in thought as she sips her prosecco.

"I don't know" I grin and shrug my shoulders.

Caroline grins back at me. "What did he smell like?"

"Amazing, he definitely wears expensive aftershave or body wash because it smelt bloody lovely."

"Did he have his trademark stubble?" Caroline leans forward.

"Oh my god, yes he did." I can't hide my excitement and I practically bounce in my seat. "He was so much hotter in real life than he looks on TV." My mind wonders to his crooked easy smile showing his perfect teeth.

"Like this?" Caroline enquires, shoving her phone in my face. There is a picture of Daniel walking down a street in the same outfit I saw him in this afternoon. I stare at the image; he looks so serious in it, nothing like how carefree he seemed with me. But then again I suppose I'd look fed up if I had the press following me around everywhere. Sarah takes the phone off Caroline and reads the article out to us.

"Daniel Weston spotted earlier today in central London leaving Radio One. Daniel shows no signs of slowing down in the promotion of his new film, a small budget production set in the aftermath of the First World War. Daniel has recently enjoyed box office success in his role as Detective Walker in the film of the same title where he played a Detective avenging his family's murder. Daniel has kept out of the spotlight since his wife, actress Lucy Shaw, ended their three year marriage eighteen months ago to return to her previous love interest and fellow actor, Aaron Jennings. Blah blah blah usual rubbish about how they were Hollywood's hottest couple."

"I think he likes you" Caroline says seriously and both me and Sarah look at each other and burst out laughing.

I open Daniel's champagne and we all drink a toast to him. After a mini fashion show of my outfits, I settle on a floral patterned knee length dress. Caroline curls my hair and we get through two further bottles of wine before we call a taxi. We travel to our usual bar and the dance floor is already heaving. I cannot stop thinking about Daniel and it annoys me that he has had such an effect on me.

I see Charlie and a few of his fellow actor friends are in here and he buys wine for Caroline and Sarah and orders a gin and tonic for me without even asking.

"Thanks Charlie, you read my mind" I say when he passes me the drink.

Charlie looks distracted for the rest of the night and he and Caroline keep going outside so they can speak. Although it is strange, I try to keep out of whatever is going on as it doesn't seem to have anything to do with me and I know Caroline will fill me in later.

It's my round, so I saunter to the bar. While I'm waiting the bartender puts a bottle of Veuve Clicquot in front of me.

"This is from a secret admirer" he winks at me as he places several glasses with the opened bottle. My breath hitches in my throat and I look round half expecting to see Daniel smiling with his blue eyes glistening. Unfortunately, I don't see anyone at all and I cannot get the attention of the bartender to ask any more questions. I'm a little shocked at how upset I feel at the fact that I know it can't really be Daniel.

I walk back to the girls with the champagne and three glasses.

"Bloody hell" Sarah laughs as she shouts over the music. "You're feeling generous."

She sees how stunned I look. "It's from a secret admirer apparently." I laugh, but I know the smile doesn't reach my eyes. Sarah puts her arm around me and kisses my head.

"Lizzie, he's a movie star. Sorry, but I don't think you will ever see him again sweetie. You need to take this afternoon and remember it forever, because that's all people like us get. You know I love you, but we just don't move in the same circles as men like that. You need to move past him. Now let's not let this champagne go to waste."

I nod and try to laugh because I know she's right and I need to snap out of this.

"Just a heads up, I think Caroline is finally trying to set you up with Charlie." She smiles nervously at me.

"What!" I shout. "Don't be ridiculous. Neither of us think of each other like that." I feel so angry, but Sarah just shrugs. Then she nods to look behind me and Charlie is approaching us. For the first time since we have met, I can't read him.

"Can I have a word?" He looks serious and leads me off the dance floor to a quieter section of the bar.

We stand to the side of the main bar and it might be the alcohol, but I can feel eyes on me. I glance round desperately trying to catch sight of Daniel, but deep down I know he won't be here. I hear Charlie say "...as friends, but I would still like to spend some more time with you Lizzie." I realise that Charlie has been talking to me and I have not heard a word of what he has said. He calls my name in frustration and I apologise.

"So, what do you think?" he asks meeting my eyes. I have no idea what he is asking me and I feel mortified. Charlie looks hurt at my failure to respond. He places a stray hair behind my ear and I feel like such an awful person.

"OK" I nod guiltily and his eyes light up.

"Great, I will text you about it soon – promise we will have fun." Charlie kisses the top of my head and leaves me standing there totally dumbfounded as to what the hell has just happened.

Some girls brush past me and it brings me back to the present. I march onto the dance floor and see that Caroline is talking with her work friends and Sarah is dancing with some hot guy on the other side of the bar. I scour the bar again for any trace of Daniel, but he isn't here. "Pull yourself together; he's a movie star" I say out loud to myself as I make my way back through the sea of people. I sit at our table alone and finish the champagne. I decide to call it a night and say my goodbyes. I tell Caroline that I need to talk to her and she looks worried by my unusually harsh tone.

-hey, if you enjoyed chapter 4 please vote or comment. Thank you -