Chapter 50

I decide not to mention Ed's dramatic appearance to Caroline or Sarah until I meet with them the following Thursday for drinks. I know there would be a deluge of messages that I just don't want to deal with.

I need to make an effort when I meet the girls tonight because I want them to see that I'm doing OK. I trawl through my wardrobe and it pisses me off that every outfit I own seems to remind me of him. I need to go shopping I decide.

I finally pick out a little black dress with spaghetti straps which clings in all the right places. I pair it up with my stiletto strappy sandals and loosely pin my hair up. I take my time with my make up. I want to ensure that I carefully cover the deep purple marks under my eyes from the lack of sleep.

The taxi drops me off at our usual cocktail bar, but my smile fades when I see that Jeremy and Andy are with the girls. I pay the driver and my heart sinks a little when I realise I'm going to be fifth wheeling tonight. I was hoping it would just be us. Not that I don't love the boys, just it's hard to keep him out of my head when the rest of us are together. But, I don't let it show and I put my game face on. I smile warmly at them and hug them all in turn.

We enter the bar and Jeremy grabs a table while Andy goes to the bar.

"How you doing kiddo?" Jeremy asks me as he engulfs me in a firm hug.

"Fine." I lie through my teeth and smile up at him.

"That's my girl." He kisses the top of my head and smiles back at me. I'm glad he seems to have taken my answer at face value and asks no more questions. As he passes Caroline he gently squeezes her hand and plants a kiss on her exposed shoulder. He then whispers something to her and makes his way to the bar to help Andy with the drinks.

We take our seats at the table. "How are you feeling?" Caroline asks me.

"Fine." I try to see if the same response will work on Caroline. I can immediately tell by her face that I have no chance of lying so easily to her.

"Try again, but this time with more feeling." She smiles and nudges me playfully.

I put on my biggest, most fake smile and turn fully to her. "Fine." I say again but with added jazz hands, making them both laugh. "Anyway, while the boys aren't here... I have news."

Both Caroline and Sarah share a knowing look and I have no idea what passes between them. Sarah must see the confusion on my face and recovers quickly.

"Go on." She says, which sets my mind back to my trail of thought.

"Ed came into my work the other day." I say it casually, but feel like I have dropped a grenade into the conversation. "He has apparently joined a new company that has offices in London. He turned up to a meeting trying to play a little game with me."

"He is one sick bastard." Caroline says through gritted teeth.

I nod and laugh sarcastically in agreement. "Yep. I had to do a pitch in front of him and another three directors. They obviously had no idea who I was or what he's really like."

"And..." Caroline asks me nervously. I feel like she expects me to say I had a breakdown and had to leave.

"And... I nailed it. Gave the pitch of my life. The other men loved our ideas. Helen is going to speak to the two guys she knows and explain that we won't work with Ed." I grin a little smugly and Caroline laughs. Sarah, on the other hand looks lost in thought and doesn't react. "You hear that Sarah?" I ask.

"Mmm, sorry... I was just thinking. Well, more wondering really... how much do you think a hitman costs these days?" I burst out laughing, but she looks deadly serious.

"Sarah, that's almost as insane as he is." I say through my laughter.

"Think about it. He's not going to stop Lizzie. I have some money saved and I'm sure Daniel would..." she stops talking abruptly.

"You're sure Daniel would what Sarah? Lend me the money to have my ex-husband murdered? What planet do you live on?"

"OK OK... just seemed it'd solve all your problems." She shrugs.

"I worry about you. No more Ray Donovan or Scandal for you." Caroline firmly scolds her, shaking her head.

Andy and Jeremy approach the table with our drinks.

"What you guys talking about?" Andy asks innocently.

"Your girlfriend wants me to lend money off my ex-boyfriend to have my ex-husband killed." I smile sweetly at him, like it's a normal topic of conversation. We all turn to look at Andy, waiting for his reaction.

"That's why I love her folks." Andy grins at her. "So, where were you planning on finding a hitman then darling?" Andy takes the seat next to her, raising his eyebrow.

"I have my ways." She flashes a wicked smile at him. Andy bellows with laughter and pulls her in for a kiss.

"No more talk of murder tonight please." I say as I raise my glass. Everyone toasts, but I hear Sarah mutter something about being boring. Caroline flashes her a warning look.

Later in the evening when Andy and Jeremy are in deep conversation, Caroline turns seriously to us. "I've got something I need to tell you."

We both lean in, ready to hear whatever Caroline has to say. "Go on." Sarah says for the second time tonight.

"Charlie is back." Caroline says and then I practically choke on my drink.

"How do you know that?" Sarah asks and then turns to make sure the boys are still in conversation.

"He came to the gallery yesterday." Both of them look at me, trying to gage my reaction.

I have no idea how to react, my head is a mess.

- hey. Thank you all for still reading. What do you think of this chapter?

Looking forward to reading your comments and please tick the little star -