Chapter 15

In the busy terminal Daniel collects our bags and refuses to let me carry mine, even though I could easily pull it along. We head out of the terminal and Daniel looks for our driver. I see a man holding a sign with my name on it which surprises me. I look at Daniel who apologises, but says that he didn't want the press to know where he was flying to.

The driver takes us quickly to the car and we manage to get in without anyone recognising him. We drive into central Paris and I feel like a child watching the beautiful city pass us by. Daniel looks excited too, I can see it in his face and the fact that he squeezes my hand a little tighter the closer we get to the hotel.

We enter the most beautiful street and the driver pulls over. Daniel grins at me. "We're here." He beams at me. The outside of the hotel is magnificent and it towers above us, the marble gleaming in the sunshine. The driver opens the door for us and we stand next to each other on the pavement. "Did I do good?" He asks looking nervous and gestures towards the hotel.

"It looks amazing." I grin at him. Before I lose my nerve I step forward, reach up on my tiptoes and kiss him softly. I step back and pretend to look up at the hotel, but really I try to calm the flushing on my cheeks. I glance up at Daniel and he looks as flustered as me and I can't help but feel a little pleased with myself that he looks so dishevelled.

We step out of the morning sunlight hand in hand into a dimly lit lobby and it takes my eyes a few seconds to adjust. The lobby is spectacular and even though I've stayed in some very luxurious hotels, I do feel a bit like pretty woman – without the whole prostitute thing of course. The lobby is solid cream marble, with huge intricate gold chandeliers. It has a regal opulence, with the magnificent flower displays and elegantly dressed clientele. I feel a little out of place in my jeans and wish I had listened to Sarah. "It's beautiful." I whisper to Daniel as we head to the reception and he smiles and squeezes my hand.

The receptionist instantly recognises Daniel and flirts with him outrageously. I smile to myself because I can't really blame her and she does sounds very sexy speaking in her French accent. It is clear that she has no intention of involving me in their discussion, so I let my eyes wander and take in the sheer magnitude and beauty of the hotel.

I'm brought back to reality by Daniel placing his arm around my shoulder while we wait for the key. I lace my fingers with his and he leans down to kiss the inside of my wrist. The feel of his lips on such a sensitive part of my body makes every nerve ending vibrate. I'm perplexed when two keys are placed in front of us and Daniel thanks the receptionist. I thank her too out of politeness, but she doesn't even glance my way.

"Why do we have two keys?" I realise how stupid I sound as soon as the question leaves my mouth.

"Because we have two rooms?" He smirks at me as if I'm the village idiot.

"Oh." I feel ridiculous that I had presumed that we would be sharing a room. I bet I sound a right slut – Sarah would be pleased with me I think. I'm equally disappointed and relieved by us having two rooms. While we wait for the lift I feel him studying me and I look at us in the mirror straight ahead. All those comments online are right, he shines like a beacon next to me and I just look so bloody ordinary. I feel myself back away from him a little as we step into the lift.

"Everything OK?" He asks looking concerned. "Have I done the wrong thing booking two rooms? It's just it took you so long to agree to go on a date with me; I didn't want to overstep the mark. I don't want to mess this up." Daniel looks at the floor as he finishes his sentence as if he is scared of my response.

"Everything is fine." I lie easily and push all of my insecurities to the back of my mind. "You have done the right thing my Prince Charming." I joke trying to lift the mood and playfully elbow him in his rock hard abs. Daniel relaxes and takes my hand again as we step out onto the top floor of the hotel. The corridor is lit with beautiful ornate candelabra and Daniel checks that our rooms are next to each other. Daniel then hands my key to me.