Chapter 55

Charlie guides me back through the restaurant to our table. Once seated, I gulp down the rest of my wine and place the glass back on the table.

"Do you want to tell me what that was all about?" Charlie stares at me with concern in his eyes, while his brow is covered in deep frown lines. He then notices the waiter walking past and gestures towards him. "Bottle of Pinot Grigio, please mate." The waiter nods back at Charlie.

I smile sadly at him. "I'm losing my mind Charlie. Everything is such a mess. So much has happened over the last six months, I don't even know where to start." I shake my head and pinch the bridge of my nose, trying desperately to organise my thoughts. "I thought I saw Daniel standing outside that's all, but it obviously wasn't him." 

"In this weather?" Charlie asks me, totally confused.

"I know. That's what I mean... I'm going crazy." The waiter returns with a new bottle and thankfully fills my glass back up. "Thank you." I say to him as I immediately pick the glass up and take a drink.

"I have no idea what has happened Lizzie. When I got back a few days ago I thought you were still with Daniel. I was convinced that after what happened in L.A he would make it difficult for me to make amends. It sounds like you've been through a rough ride recently and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you. If you don't believe anything else I say tonight, please believe that."

The waiter then appears with our food which temporarily ends our heart-to-heart. The beautiful garlic smell rises up to fill my senses. Suddenly, I'm starving. Charlie looks guilty as he takes a huge smell of his lasagne.

"Oh my God. I forgot how amazing real food smells." He swiftly picks up his fork and devours a huge mouthful of lasagne. "Mmmm, I'm in heaven." He comments with his mouth full.

I can't help but laugh in response and it lightens the mood instantly. "It'll be our little secret." I wink at him and he laughs before taking another huge bite.

Charlie has finished his meal within a few short minutes, while I still have over half left.

"You didn't even chew that." I tease him as I sip my wine between mouthfuls.

"I know. I've missed eating like this. Do you know I took this model on a date to this swanky restaurant a few months ago. All she ordered was a glass of overpriced water with a fucking slice of lemon in it. I mean, what the hell is that about?" He raises his hands animatedly as he talks.

I grin back at him. "You were going to order a plain chicken salad in Theo's Charlie. What the hell is that about?" I ask, challenging him. "You've changed." I point my fork full of carbonara at him, before eating the huge mouthful of pasta.

"Yeah, I guess I have a bit. It's such a different way of living out there. To be honest after what happened, I've kind of avoided coming back." He looks deep in thought when he tops up both our glasses.

I finish my meal and sit back in my chair with my glass, ready to hear him out. He makes eye contact with me before leaning forward.

"Like I said Lizzie, I've thought about what to say to you over and over. But each time I picked up the phone or went to book a flight home, I bottled it. I had no idea how you would react to me contacting you, and Daniel made it pretty clear what he thought of me. So I guess to begin with I used the excuse that I was staying away to make things easier for you. But that was total bullshit. I was scared you would tell me to fuck off and I would hate myself after that."

"I wouldn't have-" Charlie cuts me off by raising his hand.

"Sorry Lizzie, but just let me say what I need to first. Some things I need to get out might be a little difficult for you to hear, but just let me say my peace. OK?" He raises his eyebrows questioningly.