Chapter 6

My phone rings again and I sigh deeply and tilt my head back into the headrest.

"Do you need to get that? It sounds as if someone is keen to get hold of you." Daniel looks at me and raises his eyebrows, so I explain last night's events to him. He does not interrupt me while I talk, but just nods and listens; his face serious. Once I have finished, Daniel opens his mouth to speak but is cut off when my phone rings again. "I think you should get that." Daniel says quietly and I know he is right.

I take a deep breath. "Hi Charlie." I answer while we are still sitting in Daniel's driveway.

"Where the hell have you been Lizzie? I have been trying to get hold of you for two hours. Did you get my texts?" Charlie sounds pissed off and I don't blame him.

"Sorry Charlie. I've been running and my phone has been on silent. I've only just seen all of the missed calls and texts." I lie and I can't help but grimace because I really do feel awful. I turn my head to look at Daniel, but he just quietly drums on the steering wheel while staring straight ahead.  I look at his profile and even though my conversation with Charlie is so awkward, my heart flutters involuntarily.

"I've managed to get a table at St. Johns this evening through a friend. Will you be able to make it? I know it's short notice, but thought a nice setting would give us the opportunity to spend some time together..." There is a pause, but then Charlie finishes quickly. "...as friends."

"Oh Charlie, that sounds lovely but I can't tonight. I already have plans with a friend. I'm so sorry. I hope the table doesn't go to waste and you're able to go with another friend." I squeeze my eyes shut, feeling the guilt rise up in my stomach.

"OK, no problem. I knew it was a long shot on such short notice. Yeah, course I'll find someone else to go with, you know me. See you soon." Charlie doesn't even give me chance to say goodbye before he cuts me off. I exhale forcefully and it surprises me, because I didn't realise that I had been holding my breath.

Daniel looks over at me and seems to sense my emotions. "Don't feel guilty about letting him down. That was very gentle and tactful." I nod and smile, but still feel like a total bitch. Daniel starts the engine and the car purrs to life.

As I reach for my water bottle from the centre console, Daniel reaches for his sunglasses and our fingers gently graze . The electricity sparks between us and I feel as though my fingers are on fire. I gasp and pull away shocked at the powerful reaction, which is a first for me. I look down at my hands while I wait for my heartbeat to level out. I hear Daniel's fast breathing and wonder whether I have the same effect on him. I see Daniel shake his head out of the corner of my eye and he then puts on his sunglasses.

While he concentrates on manoeuvring out of his driveway, I steal another glance at his handsome profile. Being this close I can see that even though he has shaved, the stubble is just starting to create a shadow on his face and I have to fight the urge to reach out and touch him.

We make our way through the streets of London in surprisingly comfortable silence. Daniel looks deep in thought, so I just sit back and watch the world go by. The last twenty-four hours have been surreal to say the least and I cannot believe that I am sitting here in Daniel's car as he drives me home. Daniel is the first one to break the silence.

"So do you actually have plans tonight?" He asks casually while he concentrates on the road ahead.

"No." I confess and shake my head. "Which makes it worse." Silence falls back between us, but there now seems to be tension in the air. There is an urge of desperation rising in my body to touch him, but I imagine he has that effect on every woman he meets. He goes to say something, but must decide against it and I feel my heart rate quicken in anticipation. No one has ever had this effect on me and I have to admit that it is unnerving.