Chapter 39

I'm not sure where or how to start explaining what happened. I don't trust my voice not to break. So, I decide to show him instead.

I untie the scarf with shaking hands and pull it down onto my lap. Daniel looks down at my lap for a while, totally bewildered by what I'm doing. But then his gaze wanders back up.

I watch as his eyes widen in horror and confusion when he focuses on the deep, ugly bruises around my throat. It's clear from the look on his face that he has no idea how to respond, but I don't give him the opportunity. This is my time to be honest and confess all.

"I wanted some time to myself, so I lied to you and said that Caroline was with me thinking that I could just relax for a bit and you would be back soon. But ... he ... Ed must have known where I lived all along" He tentatively reaches out his hand to touch me, but then pulls back quickly like I would shatter if he made contact with me. He chooses instead to put his head in his hands. Little pieces of my heart begin to shatter at his failure to want to touch me.

I give him a second to process what I'm so ineloquently trying to tell him.

"He did this to you?" He mumbles and then rubs his hands roughly through his hair, finally looking up at me. I take a deep breath to steady my emotions. He still doesn't make eye contact with me, just focuses on my throat.

"Yes, my buzzer rang just after 9 and I thought it was you, so I opened the door."

I need him to fully see what Ed did to me while I still have the nerve. I slowly stand up and begin to unbutton Caroline's blouse with trembling fingers. I let it fall to the floor and I stand there in just my vest top exposing the marks on my chest, arms and wrists. I lift my top tentatively to show the bruises on my stomach too. I want to run away or curl up and hide like I always used to, but I force myself to stand still. I force myself to be strong for once. No more secrets, I tell myself.

Daniel's eyes cover every inch of me, not sure where to look next. I watch his jaw set in a hard line while his eyes wander from ugly bruise to bruise. I can see the anger building inside of him.

"I'm going to fucking kill him." He jumps up and paces to the door. I don't try to stop him, I'm too drained. I just sit back down, lift my legs onto the settee and wrap my arms around my knees. I bury my head and hide my face away. I guess he's not ready to hear what I have to say. It feels as though more of my heart crumbles away.

I expect to hear the door slam, but instead I feel the settee dip as he sits down next to me. His strong, dependable arms engulf me. I let him hold me and I melt into the embrace, breathing in his familiar scent. I hear his ragged breathing slowly return to normal.

"I'm here Lizzie. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere. Will you tell me what happened?" He takes my face in his hands and finally looks at me in the eyes. He is just inches from me and I can see the desperation in his stare.

I take a deep breath before I begin. "I'm not really sure where to start Daniel... He said he had had been looking for me and had finally found me. He wanted me to go back to Manchester with him."

"He what?" Daniel sounds totally confused. "Why?"

"He said he loved me, he had changed and he wanted me to go back to being his wife. He said you didn't love me, but he did. Oh, also that we were soul mates!" I let out a bitter laugh and shake my head.

"What the fuck, he is a fucking psychopath." Daniel bites his lip, trying desperately to contain his anger.

"Yes he is, but I didn't back down. I told him no, that he meant nothing and that he had no power over me anymore." I close my eyes, briefly reliving that look in his eyes. I shudder at the thought. "Then he attacked me. But this time I fought for my life... and I won. I hurt him right back."