Chapter 21

My door buzzer rings at a much more respectable hour this time, but I've still been up for a few hours. Against Sarah's firm advice, I have opted for comfort over sexiness. After much deliberation I have decided on a midi-length burnt orange skirt and a cream silk vest top with my brown wedges. I loosely curl my hair and keep my makeup light as I have a long day ahead.

My heart begins to race right on cue. There he stands when I open the door looking effortlessly perfect. We greet each other as I walk back into my living room to grab my jacket and bag. He is in his trusty converse, jeans and a black polo shirt. He kisses me gently and I feel the roughness of his stubble against my soft skin. The kiss deepens and my tongue parts his lips. Instinctively, I run my fingers through the back of his hair. His hands spread across my lower back under my vest top, holding me flush against him. He pulls away first and checks his watch.

"We really gotta go." He kisses the top of my head and grabs my suitcase. "Jesus Lizzie, how long have you packed for?" He laughs when he feels the weight of my suitcase.

"Just a few days, you never know what a girl might need." I answer him sweetly and follow him out the door. While I'm checking my door is locked behind me I hear him muttering something about the kitchen sink which makes me giggle.

I'm pleased to see Lawrence again. "Good morning Lawrence." I grin when we approach the car.

"Good morning Ms Cooper." He responds formally, but I see the warmth in his eyes.

"Lizzie, please." I say as I get in the car and he nods towards me. We repeat the same journey we did a week ago to Paris, although I feel much more at ease because I actually know where we're going this time. Daniel asks Lawrence about his family and how they are. Their conversation is animated and I listen intently while I look out of the window. Daniel never lets go of my hand while we drive. It is lovely to hear how comfortable they both are in each other's company and I wonder how long they have known each other.

"You will understand what it's like one day; you think having teenage daughters is a blessing and it is, but it can also be like herding cats." Lawrence laughs oblivious to the sad look in Daniel's eyes at the mention of having children. I stroke his arm reassuringly and he smiles at me, but I can see that it's artificial.

I realise that Lawrence has continued to talk about his daughters while I have been lost in thought about Daniel's past and I feel awful that I haven't been paying any attention. They both laugh at the end of Lawrence's tale and I laugh too, hoping not to get found out. Daniel pulls some tickets out of his bag, reaches over and passes them to Lawrence who looks confused.

"I said I would try and get tickets for that shitty boyband your girls love and my agent came up good. So here you go, sounds like hell to me ... but hope they enjoy it." Daniel laughs heartily and leans back in his seat next to me.

"Thank you so much Daniel, I didn't expect you to actually be able to get them. The girls told me it sold out in five minutes or something like that. They will be over the moon Daniel; it's very kind of you."

"My pleasure mate." My heart swells at how thoughtful he is for the people around him and I lean over and kiss his cheek. "What was that for?"

"Nothing." I smile and rest my head on his chest.

We approach Heathrow and I feel Daniel tense. I sit back ready for my circular tour around the airport with Lawrence while Daniel deals with the press and his fans.

"Would you like to get out with me this time?" He asks seriously, all the playfulness gone out of his voice. I pause because I'm not sure if I'm ready to be part of the attention he commands. The thought of all those people makes my chest tighten. "Please Lizzie. I want you by my side. I promise I will protect you." Daniel kisses my knuckles as the car starts to slow and I literally have no willpower to refuse him. Even though I want to say no, I find myself agreeing.