Allergic

Kennedy
"The medicine, it seems to contain something you're allergic to. This limits your chance of living," the nurse tells me.

I sigh, at this point I am prepared to die. Not that I want to, of course. I want to live a little longer, get married, have kids, watch Max graduate.

"Is it one hundred percent true?" I ask, concerned.

"I'm afraid so," the doctor says, not caring.

"Okay," I say, looking at my hands.

"About five days," the doctor says, estimating.

I nod sadly.

"We will let everyone in your emergency contacts know-" he says but I cut him off.

"No."

"It's my problem, I should be the one to tell them," I correct him. He nods.

"Fair enough, I'll leave you to it," he says, exiting the room.

I pick up my phone, calling my mother. After a few rings, she answers.

"Mum?" I say, before bursting into tears.

"Honey what is it?" she asks, concerned.

"I'm going to die," I let out a sob. It isn't the fact that I am going to die that I am crying. It's the fact that I haven't seen my family for over a month.

"Baby, what do you mean?" she asks, starting to cry.

"The medicine, s-something in it, I'm allergic to it," I say, quietly.

"Why is it such a late notice?" she asks, sniffling.

"I didn't. I- I don't know," I lie, pushing more hair behind my ear.

"My baby girl," she sighs, making a few more warm drops leave my eyes.

"I love you," I tell her, while trying to stop crying.

"I love you too sweetheart," she replies, quietly.

There's a little silence, with each of us not knowing what to say.

"When did they say you're due to pass away?" she asks.

"Around five days," I answer, taking a deep breath out.

"Oh dear," she cries.

"I'm really sorry mum," I say, trying not to cry.

"Honey it's not your fault," she tells me. I nod, wiping away a tear from under my eye.

There's a knock at the door, which causes me to jump.

"I need to go mum, I'll talk to you soon," I say, standing up.

"Okay sweetie," she replies.

We both say I love you's before I hang up. I quickly look in the mirror. It isn't that obvious I was crying.

I walk over to the door, opening it. Aaron stands there, holding a teddy bear and chocolate roses.

"Oh my- Aaron!" I smile, hugging him.

"I thought you might like these," he says, wrapping an arm around me. He uses his free hand to show me the items.

"They're adorable," I smile, "thank you."

"No problem," he says, kissing my forehead. He hands them to me, I gladly take them.

"Wait," I pause him, running to get my phone.