Doctor's Orders

Kennedy
I burst my eyes open, I sit up quickly. A blanket falls down my arms, I look down.

I'm in a hospital bed?

"You're awake!" Aaron smiles, with watery eyes.

"Yeah," I lay back down, it hurts too much to move.

"I'm so sorry Kennedy," he says, sitting down besides me on a chair.

"Don't apologise," I stop him.

"I need to," he keeps looking at me.

"I don't need to hear it," I say a little too rudely snapping my head towards him.

"Fine, will you let me talk?" he asks, taken back.

"Go ahead," I sigh, which hurts to do.

"I love you. Okay? And I'm so mad at myself for throwing everything I felt towards you and what we've been through away by kissing Libby. I hate myself for it. I just don't want you to hate me," he confesses, looking at the floor.

"I've never hated you," I say honestly, "but if you really loved me back then, you wouldn't have even thought about kissing someone else."

"Do you want me to tell you why I kissed her?" he asks me, focusing on my face.

"If it's something that could change what I think of you," I shrug, looking at the roof.

"She threatened me to kiss her or she'd tell everyone about my mother ha-" he gets cut off by a nurse walking in.

"Kennedy, isn't it?" she says, looking at me.

"Yeah," I nod.

"Do you take pills okay?" she asks me, flipping over pages on her clipboard.

"Yes," I answer. She writes some words down, nodding.

"Well we have some pills to help the pain with the concussion. You hit your external occipital protuberance, which bled a lot. That is what caused you to pass out," she informs me.

"As for the stab wound, these are another set of pills that will help the healing process. Sometimes when a body is punctured it tears the tissue in that area. Since it is extremely crowded in the chest area with organs, the tissue can have trouble forming again. So these pills will help the process," she says shaking a small orange container.

"Yeah, I get it," I nod.

"Alright, breakfast, lunch, and dinner," she places the container on the small table besides me.

"These are just for when you feel pain," she say, placing a clear container next to it.

"Thank you," I smile, "is there any water?"

"Yeah, I'm sure your partner could get you a cup, there's that there," she laughs slightly, pointing at a little water tank.

"Right, thanks," I laugh.

"I'll leave you to it, press the buzzer if you need anything," she smiles before walking out.

"What were you going to say?" I ask, remembering Aaron getting cut off.

"My mother has Alzheimer's," he says, staring at the ground.

"Come here," I say, patting the empty spot next to me on the bed.