We Can Get Through This

Hunters POV

So she does have diabetes, she is never going to forgive herself. I cradled Natalie against my chest as I stood up and walked over to Eleanor. "Okay, we can get through this sweetie. People live through life with Diabetes everyday, you are going to be fine. Having this doesn't make us love you any less." I told her while kissing her cheek and wrapping my free arm around her. She was just sitting there in disbelief, "We need to go to the pharmacy so I can get my testing kit and other supplies." She finally said. "Okay, we'll go right now." I said I put Natalie in her car seat and got in to the drivers side. As we were driving I looked over at Eleanor and she had a blank expression on her face. I reached over and grabbed her hand and brought it to my lips to kiss it. "Everything's gonna be fine." I said to reassure her, but in the back of my mind I knew it wouldn't  be. She was starting to shut down, I had to try to stop it. We got all of her supplies, and went to get some dinner. When we got back I put Natalie down to sleep then went to the living room. Eleanor was sitting on the couch reading all the information that came with the testing kit and the medicine that she had to take as well. I sat down next to her and asked "so how does this thing work?" While picking up the little pink machine. She giggled and took it from me, she proceeded to tell me that every morning and every night she takes something called a lancet and inserts in into the machine. Then takes the little needle thingy and puts a miniature needle in it. You then clean off your finger off and take the stabbed thingy, place it against your finger and push a button which releases the needle and pricks you. Then you let the blood flow on the lancet and the machine will tell what your sugar is. If your auger is to high then that means she didn't take her medicine and she needs to take it to lower it. If it's to low then she could pass out. 

Eleanor's POV

I explained everything to Hunter and he still looked confused. I chuckled and kissed his cheek then laid down on the couch. "Don't worry love, you will learn everything. As I go through it. That's how I learned it, my mom has had it since before I was born. I've seen it all." He laid down facing me and said "You can't die right." I sighed, this is going to be hard for him to hear. "Yes I can, more people die in a year from diabetes then from breast cancer and aids combined." He grabbed me tighter, burying his head in my neck. I could feel him start to cry. "I don't want to lose you, you and Natalie are my world." He said in between sobs. "Hey don't think like that. That'll only happen if I don't take care of this, but I promise you I will be doing everything I'm supposed to. You won't get rid of me that easily." I said while running my fingers through my hair trying to calm him down. I brought him upstairs and put out him in bed. Once he was asleep I kissed his forehead and went down stairs. I needed to call someone and tell them. I needed to call my mom. She picked up on the 3rd ring. "Eleanor how are you and that sweet grand daughter of mine?" She asked enthusiastically. "She's good now, the doctors know why she has a breathing problem." I said. "Oh that's great! What was wrong." She asked. "Mom there's something I need to tell you." I said hesitantly. "What ever it is you can tell me." She said. "Mom I have diabetes." I said, there was a long pause. "I knew you would have it eventually, once I read the pamphlet that my doctor have me that said if the mother has it while she was carrying her baby then it was more then 90% likely that the child would have it later in life." She said, I could tell she felt bad. " it's okay mom, it's not your fault." I reassured her. We talked about everything that was going on with her family and dad and my brother. 

Hunters POV

I turned towards Eleanor's side of the bed and reached out to rub her back on instinct but she wasn't there. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. She wasn't over by Natalie's crib, that's odd. I went to check on Natalie while I walked by, little angel was still sleeping. We've been blessed with her, she stays asleep for most of the night every night. I quietly walked down the stairs, I saw a light coming from the kitchen and faint talking. Who could Eleanor be talking to at 1 in the morning? I walked up behind her and put my hand gently on her back trying not to scare her, she jumped a little then turned and realized it was me. "Hey mom I gotta go Hunter just woke up." She said. She hung up and stood up wrapping her arms around my neck. "What are you doing up, I didn't wake you did I?" She asked me. "No, I just reached over and you weren't there." I said wrapping my arms around her waist bringing her closer to me. She yawned then smiled at me. "Have you even been to bed yet?" I asked her. She looked away with a look of guilt. "Eleanor." I said sternly which made her look back at me and whisper "No" "Sweetheart you need your sleep." I said starting to walk her upstairs. I laid down and brought her with me laying her had on my chest. I started playing with her hair and sang Wanted until she fell asleep. I woke up in the morning to hear Natalie making bubbles with her mouth. I walked over to her crib smiling and she grinned back at me. "And how's daddy's little girl this morning." I asked while kissing her forehead. She responded by blowing more bubbles and laughing. I changed her diaper then brought her downstairs. As I got to the kitchen I said "Today is Mother's Day, how about we make mommy some breakfast in bed." She smiled her beautiful smile, "I'll take that as a yes." I said while tickling her belly. I went and grabbed a bottle of milk that Eleanor prepared and heated it up and fed Natalie. Once she was done I burped her, she let out a few big ones. "That's my girl." I yelled victoriously. I set her down in her playpen and started on breakfast. I made Eleanor's favorite. Blueberry muffins, turkey bacon and hash browns. Once it was done I brought Natalie upstairs to our room and set her on Eleanor's stomach as her wake up call. 

Eleanor's POV

I was peacefully sleeping until I felt something crawling on my stomach then start poking my face. I opened my eyes a little bit to be greeted by my little girls smiling face, her smile is just like her daddy's big smile and squinting eyes. "Well hi there sweetie, how did you get over here?" I asked her. I looked over to Hunter's side of the bed and he wasn't there. "Is daddy up to something." I asked her. She just giggled in response. From the corner of my eye I saw the door start to slowly open, I looked over and saw Hunter walk in with a delicious tray of smelling food. "Happy Mother's Day!" He exclaimed. "Aww honey thank you, but you didn't have to." I said. "How could I not do this for the best mother in the world?" He said. "I don't know but thank you love, it smells amazing." After I was served breakfast in bed we took Natalie to the park and just walked around. When we got back there was a few extra cars in the driveway, I looked over at Hunter who had a from on his face. "What did you do?" I asked him while getting our sleeping Natalie out of the back, poor thing was tuckered out. "I didn't do anything." He said trying to sound convincing but even he laughed at himself. We walked in the door to be greeted with his parents and my parents. "Happy Mother's Day!" They all yelled. My eyes started to water, I turned to Hunter "Did you do this?" I asked him. "Maybe" he said sheepishly. I walked over and hugged and kissed him, "Thank you Hunter I love you." "I love you too Eleanor Hayes." We sat and talked for a while until Natalie got up so I could introduce her to her grandpa Lauzon and grandma Provost. They fell in love with her. Hunter took a picture of all of us. I posted it on twitter with the caption "@eleanorhayes: I have the BEST husband ever. He flew my parents and his parents out here for Mothers Day. Just when I thought I could not love him more he goes and does this! Love you sweetheart! 😘 @hunterhayes."

Love Y’all!! 

Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter & YouTube: @hunterhayesvt