Part 27: Ten Years Old

As the hugs passed from mom to dad, she rushed them into the car. Wondering where they were taking her, she sat in the back jumping up and down with excitement. "How about a birthday breakfast? Waffles sound great right about now, whatcha think?" Nodding went around the car, so they all sat down for a family/birthday breakfast.

After a big helping of blueberry waffles, Emily slurped down a bottle of milk. "I'm ready to go to the surprise! Mommy, daddy, please?" Puppy dog eyes and whimper lips made them grin at each other, I mean. . Who could say no to that face?

Driving for a good minute, her dad pulls into a parking lot and finds a spot. Still wondering, Emily looked at the building. Colorful signs and pictures indicated it was definitely for kids, she was happy about that.

Pulling her parents out of the car, she held both their hands. "Okay Em. Please behave yourself, you won't be the only one here." Nodding and smiling, she knew to be on her best behavior. Entering the doors, Emily immediately turned toward the ball pit. Bright colored balls were calling her name.

"Can I?" Emily's dad made a shooing motion, she took off and cannon balled into the pit. "Careful, you almost squished me." Another child poked his head out of the balls. It looked like he was hiding from someone. "Who are you hiding from? I'm sorry by the way." Sinking deeper into the pit, he pulls Emily with him.

"Franklin is here. He's a bully at my school, we're on a field trip." Emily nods, she felt bad for this kid. "Want to play with me? He won't hurt you, I'll make sure of it." The kid grins at her, "I'm Kellin, you are?" Poking her head back to the surface, she motions him upward. "Emily, come on. Let's go hide." He didn't decline her offer, running after her into darkened tunnels.