Part16: Side Affects

Twirling the bottle in his fingers on the desk, he begins to think about Emily. She was so young, so distraught. The last time he remembers her truly being happy was when Renae and him were together. Honestly, he missed being with her, holding her every night. Maybe for Emily, they could work it out? He began writing out all of his feelings into a letter, he's gonna bring it to her mailbox in the morning.
.......................................................................
Renae,
I've been thinking about us lately. It turns out I'm still not over you, I miss you. Three years have passed our lives, and neither one of us have found someone better. I know we're still meant to be. Remember our love butterfly that was on our front lawn? It's in my office, sitting beautifully in the corner, just like ten years ago. I miss our afternoon walks with Emily, karaoke night with our neighbors, but most off all, you.

Can we try this again? No lies, no late nights at the bar, just us sitting by the fireplace with Em. Please think about this love.

~Jim. ♡
........................................................................
Breathing heavily, he licks the envelope shut. Going over the side effects again, he slams the bottle back on the desk.
"Fever, nausea, vomiting, blisters, blood clots, or suicidal thoughts." He thought to himself, why are there so many issues with medicines? He wanted his daughter to feel better, he didn't want something like that to happen to her. He knew he'd have to keep a close eye now.

Writing his name on the front, setting it in his desk drawer, he finally trails off to bed. The thoughts going through his head caused nightmares throughout the night, Emily woke him up the next morning. "dad, it's a dream, shhh." Sweat dripped down his forehead, he gently touched Emily's face. "Thank you for waking me up." She nods, bringing a plate of eggs and bacon, "I made breakfast." She grins as they eat together, he was impressed. She was growing up so fast, he didn't want her to.

"Schools tomorrow, are you ready?" She nods, "I don't have supplies." Her dad smiles as he pulls out a backpack from the closet. "Pencils, pens, crayons, colored pencils and ruler all in there for you. I also have a few notebooks stashed for whenever you need them." She thanks him and hugs him tightly, he hugs her back. "Let's go for a car ride to Your moms house." She had a questioning look, why did her dad want to go? Grabbing the elvelope, they head out.

"Mommy!" She runs through the door and into her moms arms. "What a surprise, hello Jim." He grins, "hello Renae." Emily smiles as she sits on the couch, "I made breakfast for dad this morning. It was great!" She giggled toward Emily, and back to Ryan. An hour passes as they kept conversation, it was time to head out. Setting the envelope on her lap, Emily hugs her mom and says her goodbyes. He smiles as he sees Renae with the letter in her hands, he knew It'd be best to deliver in person.

Waving out the truck door, Emily smiles with both sets of teeth. Her mother chuckles as she begins opening the letter.

"Renae♡" she reads, she thought it must be good.