Part22: Phone Call

"Dad, what are you still sleeping for? I'm ready for school." Emily shakes her dads arm. He rolls over toward her, flinging his eyes open. "You were suspended for three days, you know that." Her head bows down, sitting down next to him. "I'm sorry, I just want to go." She walks off, her dad hops up a few minutes later.

"Em. I need to tell you something," he yawns as he makes his morning cup of coffee. "Yeah dad? What's that?" Clearing his throat, he smiles big. "You know how mommy and I are living in different homes?" She nods, raising an eyebrow in the process. "Well, mommy and I are getting back together!"

Her jaw drops, brightening her pretty eyes. "Really? Mommy and you are dating again? That's great dad!" She smiles at him, pulling out a coloring book and her crayons.

"So, are you gonna help mommy and I pack? She's going to move in with us." She nods, of course she was going to help. The phone rings, her dad answers. "Hello?"

"Hello, is this Jim Muse?" The strange voice whispers through the line.

"Yes, may I ask who this is?" He felt nervous, this voice was not normal.

"This is not your concern, but my concern is your daughter.

"My daughter? Who is this?"

"None of your concern, like I said. If you cannot keep your daughter under control, you will not have her anymore."

"Is that a threat? I don't know who you are, but you will NOT go near my daughter! If I catch you, you'll wish you never even called." He slams the phone on the table, cracking the screen. Ending the call, he smiles at Emily.

"You seem upset dad, what happened? Can I do anything to help?" Rubbing his eyes, he nods. "Will you go get your medicine and drink ready for me? I'll help you in a second." She hustles into the kitchen and does as she's asked.

All that went through his mind was..

Who was on the other line?