Chapter 28 part 2

Chapter 28 part 2

"Are you alright?" My mother asked with a worried look on her face. "It seems as though you were having a nightmare,"

"J-just...tired." I mumbled. Even though I slept most of the time I always felt tired when I woke up.

Outside the cave, I could hear the sounds of people running and talking indistinctly. It made it hard to tell whether they were in trouble or if they were celebrating. I turned back to my mother, who was trying to cool me down.

"Outside...wh-what's goin'..."

"Oh, Hanji just came back awhile ago. Grisha has everyone making room for him to work." She leaned over and kissed my forehead. "You're going to be fine. Everything's going to be alright" she sighed in relief.

"Ha-Hanji...need..to talk."

"Sure thing. I'll be right back."

As the her footsteps began to fade away, my eyes slowly closed again. I didn't want to fall asleep but keeping my eyes open was making me even more tired. There's so many questions I want to ask her. The suspense of this experiment was killing me, everyday theres a constant fear of whether I'll survive this. I mean, I can barely keep my eyes open, what makes them think that I'll survive this. Worst of all Levi hasn't visited me at all. I feel like I'm slowly killing him as well.

When I die I want everyone to go on with their lives with me in their memory but not in a depressing way. When they think of me, I want them to smile about the happy times not the death. But if he doesn't show up, then I'll never get the chance to tell him.

"Cheoki, are you still sleeping?!" Hanji whispered

"Awake..."

"I'm pretty sure that I can guess everything that's on your mind. There's probably no reason for you to talk at all. Instead I'm just going to tell you the whole procedure so listen closely, understand?" She laughed.

I slowly nod my head in response.

"Right now Grisha is working on the formula. Luckily Annie was able to rip of the lab part of the building, so we have all of our reasearch papers, books, antidotes, and other experiments. Tonight we should be able to get the IV connected to you, so now you can get the proper nutrients you need. Armin, Grisha and I will be working here all night to figure out your DNA code and try to reverse this sickness you have. I'm not sure how we'll do it but I have a lot of hope that we'll be able to crack it. With the medicines we have we'll be able to prevent any pain or seizures you've been experiencing. So there's no need to worry. You'll be just fine."

Hanji squeezed my hand and checked my pulse to see if I was still alive.

"Outside....go outside..." I mumbled

"Sorry Cheoki, but you'll be in bed for a little while longer. But if you want, on nice sunny days we can take you outside." she said softly with a sigh.

"Did...did he..."

"From what I heard, he came to visit you after you had that seizure. He watched over you all night." From her kind words, tears slipped out of my eyes. She wiped my tears with her sleeve and patted my head.

All this time when I thought I was all alone, he was actually there. Hopefully he'll come visit me again and we can finally talk.

That night, Grisha and Erwin dragged in a thing they called a gurney, which was basically like a bed. After they gently placed me on it, I had an IV set up and pricked with several medicines which would ease my pain. I requested to stay by the whole in the ceiling so that I could still hear the birds sing and the warmth of the sun.

Every night I'd hear Armin and Hanji discussing theories on the cure and the titans. As they chatted amongst each other, Grisha would be checking up on the other shifters and re-reading his notes. Occasionally, I'd have visitors when I woke up from the medicine. Kai would tell me stories about everyone in the village. Hanto and his group of friends would pray to the gods and spirits and sing for me. Hima and mother would give me baths, play with my hair and talk about their youthful days. Father would bring me different furs from his kills and make me guess the animal. Sometimes the scouting legion kids would come over and cheer me up by telling jokes and being goofy.Erwin would tell me some stories about his training days and past missions. sometimes when I wake up in the morning I can smell and see flowers surround my bed. They'd always be the white flowers I collected outside.   

The cave was alot louder but at least I'd less lonely. I was actually enjoying my time even though I still felt sick.

After a week of testing and resting, a miracle had happened. I had finally mustered up enough strength to sit up by myself and stay awake a lot longer. I saw my family's face again and the rest of the villages. I laughed to see how much I missed them. A few days later I was able to be brought outside of the cave.

"Are you ready?" Grisha asked me.

"Yeah, I feel alot better now." I smiled widely. I never knew that going outside would be so exciting.

Grisha called in Erwin, who volunteered to carry me anywhere I wanted to go for the whole day. He came in and scooped me off the gurney. The closer he got to the exit the more I squirmed. When we finally reached the exit, the wind blew softly at my face and the sunshined brightly in the sky. Everyone was outside working on their chores but when they saw me, they smiled widely and waved hello.

"So, where do you want to go?" Erwin asked.

"I want to see Levi. I was never awake when he visited me and all I want is to just talk to him."

"I'm pretty sure we can find him in the beach." Erwin began to walk and whistle a merry tune.

The beach was empty and the waves weren't as rough. It was a very calm scenery to watch. Up on small pile of rocks was a small figure resting and watching the waters. Once Erwin caught sight of him, he qucikly made his way over there. When we finally reached the top, Erwin quietly walked behind him and set me down about a foot away.

"L-Levi?" I called to him nervously.

He slowly turned around and glared at me with his tired eyes. At first they seemed dead but after he realized who I was, they gleamed with life. He stared at me for ten minutes still in shock.

"I'm all better now." I smiled