Chapter 24 part 3

Chapter 24 part 3

In the forest

For the rest of the journey, they had to stop to rest since Kai stayed up all night on guard. Hours passed as the two drifted to sleep from their long walk. From the sound of birds chirping and the light breeze it was hard not to fall alseep. With the sun high up int he sky and the light on his eyes, Levi woke up.

He sat up and brushed off the leaves on his pants. He looked over at Kai, who was clearly knocked out. Levi got up from the ground and decided to stretch out his legs. He came across a small pond and observed the water. When deciding what to drink, he thought about it for a minute but bailed on the idea.

Levi stared at the fishes inside and noticed the subtle ripples. He pressed his hand against the ground and felt it rumbling. Levi lifted his head and noticed a titan walking towards him, pushing down the trees. Seeing that he had no fuel left to use his 3D Manuever, he decided to run back to Kai.

"Hey brat, wake-" he reached a small dent in the grass where Kai had slept, but he was nowhere to be found.
"Damn it!" Levi decided to keep on running.

He hid behind a tree and spied on the titan. It was confused on where to go or what he should eat. Levi rolled his eyes and caught a glimpse of Kai with his bear hood on. Kai was up on the trees right next to the titan. He remained motionless and made bear like grunts and growling.

However the titan would not walk away. Kai couldn't even draw back his bow or else the titan will grow suspicious of the strange bear.

Kai stared at Levi, worried and scared. His feet were clutch on the the side of the tree trying to keep himself from slipping. Levi tried to move towards Kai's tree but his steps made too much noise.

The titan moved closer to Levi's tree, smelling the leaves where Kai had slept. Right when the titan was right behind Levi's tree, Kai's foot finally slipped off the tree and let out a yelp.

The titan immediately charged at the tree ready to chomp on his leg but was pushed back by an unknown creature. The titan fell on it's back and held on the trees to bring himself up. From the trees up above were quick flashes of a shadow, moving in the trees.

Kai ran over to Levi with his foot bleeding from the bark. Levi quickly dragged the child to a safer spot and observed the titan staring up at the trees. The titan roared at the creature. The creature roared back and jumped down from the trees.

It was the Angel Titan that lept down and began to snack on the helpless titan. It ripped it's arms and knocked it down with one push. Once the titan was down, the Angel Titan continued to eat it.

"Levi, what is that? I've never seen a titan eat it's own kind." Kai gasped.

"That's no titan, it's Cheoki." Levi looked over at Kai, his face was shocked.

"Now's not the time for your jokes!" Kai drew back his arrow and aimed for the monster. But Levi slowly pushed his aim to the side.

"It's best that we don't catch it's attention!" he hissed.

"That thing will kill my people if it sees out camp." Kai nudged him away and went closer to the titan, who was still eating. Having little tolerance for children, Levi scooped up the kid and ran out.

"What are you doing!!? We have to kill it!" Kai began to thrash around.

"Hey brat, that thing is your damn sister! You completed your mission, so let's go!" Levi yelled back.

"Liar! I would've noticed her changing-" Kai was cut off by the loud thumps of footsteps and the ground shaking.

Levi ran as fast as he could, jumping over broken logs and sharp rocks. When he squinted, ahead of them was a boulder that had piles of logs surrounding it. Kai looked up at the trees and took out his grapling hook.

"Levi, jump now!" he ordered as he swung the hook onto a tree. Levi jumped and once the rope tightened, his feet were lifted frim the ground.

They swung around the mess while the titan flew into the boulder. Unfortunately, the Titan broke the boulder into bits and only took a couple of minutes to recover the hit.

"Any other brilliant ideas?" Levi scoffed.

"I just saved your life, old man! And no, I say we just keep on running!"

"Tch, I'm not a vehicle! Besides I'm carrying both of our weight, my legs are exhausted." Levi pushed himself to run faster.

"Wait a sec." Kai held out his howler and with a deep breath he blew into it.
It's sharp screech mad the titan stop chasing them. Kai blew on it several more times to ensure that whoever heard it, knew it was urgent.

Levi finally stopped by an old ebony tree. With Kai's grapling hook, they climbed up the tree and watched the titan scratch at it's ears.

"What's wrong with her?" Kai whispered.

"Her ears are really sensitive to sound. She was listening to the sound of my feet as she was chasing us." Levi sat back, taking in deep breaths.

"What do we do now?"

"Well, you can't whistle for help now. She'll kill us once she hears it. We should rest for a while."Levi answered, irrated from his non-stop talking.

"Hopefully, Hanto or mom heard me. Papa is gonna kill me once the sun sets." Kai looked over at the sun stillup in the blue sky.

"Quit worrying, we'll make it out. Just-"

"Shh!" Kai sushed him and cupped his ears. "do you hear that? Someone's coming!"