Stay

I watched as MIKA rang my mum. I gestured for him to come to me because I could see that he was nervously biting his lip. He came and stood next to me and I wrapped my arms around him. I could hear his breathing slow a little bit and I heard my mum answer the phone.

I put my ear up to my phone so I was really close to MIKA and she said "hey. What time are you coming home and we need to know if we are giving you dinner." She wasn't drunk. I was a bit surprised.

"Hello. Is this Ross' mum?"

"Yes. Who is speaking?" My mum sounded aggravated. She could tell it wasn't me joking around because I couldn't joke with her anymore. Also my voice wasn't usually that low. I hadn't got to go on testosterone yet and I still could sound very much like a girl. MIKA's voice, on the other hand, was deep.

"Erm. It's MIKA."

"Oh. Hello MIKA!"

"Hey. Ross and I have been writing our song here and it's all going well." His voice was a little shaken from nerves but I just hugged him tighter and he calmed down straight away. "We are nowhere near done in the song though so we were wondering if Ross could come back here with me tomorrow. I was thinking that if it's ok with the both of you, he could sleep over at mine and I will bring him back with me in the morning." He seemed to be smiling now and he started to rub my back gently with his free hand. 

"Ok. Can I speak to... him" she hesitated, struggling to use my correct pronouns.

He handed me the phone and I put it on speaker while signalling for him to stay quiet. I wanted him to hear what she was going to say just in case but I didn't want my mum to know that he was listening.

"Hey" I said. 

"You staying overnight then?" She asked but I could hear that she couldn't care less. 

"that's a stupid question. Yes" I responded, annoyed at how nice she had been to MIKA.

"Mm. Put me on speaker" 

"Yeah. One second" I waited for a minute before speaking again. 

"Okay we can both hear you" I said taking his hand in mine. He squeezed my hand and looked at me, grinning widely. 

"Ok so I think that's an all round yes hey?" She tried to fake a giggle but failed. 

"Yeah" I watched as MIKA looked at me.

"I don't mind when you come back as long as it's before school starts next week."

"Ok. I might be a few days then! bye!" I said hanging up the phone and putting it away.

I tuned to MIKA who was already looking at me. He took my other hand and I smiled.

"Shall we get to mine then? I'm hungry. I think it's dinner time!" He said quietly, still looking into my eyes.

"I like the sound of that"

We locked up and got into his car.