Chapter 55: Betrayal

Adam's P.O.V.

I looked at the piece of paper, confused. "What does this mean?" I asked, more to myself than to my parents.

"What does it say?" My mother asked. I showed them the paper and tried getting up. I groaned in pain when I felt it shock through my spine.

"You shouldn't be getting up." My father said, pushing my shoulder down lightly. "We have to find Penelope and Klaus before I can rest."

"If you get ambushed again, what will happen then?" My father snapped. My mother was by his side, in an instant, calming him down.

"I'm sorry. I've just been on the edge." He ran his fingers through his hair. I nodded my head, "You're right though."

I sighed, laying back down on the hospital bed. "Where's Joshua and Joseph?" I asked my parents. "The nannies should be picking them up from school in a few minutes." My mother asked me.

We sat there in silence, nothing more to say.

"Mom? Dad?" We heard Joshua and Joseph call out. The door slowly opened, and when they saw me awake, they ran into the room and onto the bed.

"Be careful." My mother warned, looking at my brothers. "How was school?" I asked them. "It was-" "Boring!" They said, taking off their backpacks and tossing them on the floor.

We talked for about half an hour before the nanny came and told them they had to their homework.

I was left alone with my thoughts. I couldn't go to sleep, knowing that my mate is in danger and not next to me.

I had various thoughts about the note Sev gave to me. Betrayal, betrayal, betrayal. I repeated the words in my head, but my mind just went in circles.

If someone was betraying the pack, who would it be?

It could be someone who's jealous, Veronica? I questioned myself.

I sighed, I tried getting up again, but when I put my feet on the ground, a siren went off. I heard the thunderous footsteps coming towards my room, and when they opened the door, they sighed in relief.

A nurse came to the bed and clicked something behind it, turning the siren off. "You shouldn't really be moving, Alpha." They bowed their heads.

I saw my mother and father near the door, with a sheepish look. "Look, son. You cant do anything in injuries like that, just rest." My father pleaded.

'If you rest, you'll be able to find her.'My wolf said, agreeing with my parents. 'Look, I don't want to be far from mate either, but what you're father is saying is right. With your injuries we wouldn't be able to fight them off again.'

"Fine." I grumbled, getting back on the bed. "You should be completely healed in a week, your strength will be coming back to you in a few days." I nodded my head, fixing the pillows so it's more comfortable.

When the nurses and doctors left, my mother decided to speak, "Cameron's handling the pack. He's doing a great job, keeping track on patrol and training."

"What will we do with Penelope and Klaus?" I asked, running a hand through my hair. "We've sent out the trackers again, the rouges might be in a different state. The trackers caught no scent in the towns."

"Can you contact her?" My father asked. I shook my head, "I just meet a wall. Something's blocking her from contacting me."

"The patrols have spotted a few rouges around the border, we think it's people keeping tabs on us. We don't want to cross the border in case of backup and they get past us."