Chapter 1: milo and mongrels

*Alaska in media*
I stepped outside into the chilly Tasmanian air clutching my mug to my chest in a desperate attempt to absorb its warmth. The smell of Milo and damp air filling my senses immediately calming me and reminding me of the storm that's soon to reach us. Winter has always been my favourite month despite my mum's severe hatred of it, she claims that its only purpose is to ruin her mood. 'Maybe if she learnt to embrace it, it wouldn't be such a downer for her.' I chuckled at the thought, my mum didn't have a very open mind and wasn't the best at accepting things that she didn't like or she considered 'different'.

Before I could stop it, a frown had settled on my face as I thought more about the subject at hand. It's not just my mum who hides her self away from anything 'unique' or 'different' a lot of the human population refuses to even acknowledge change or the unusual. The expectation for kids these days is to go to 'normal' school, listen to 'normal' music, wear 'normal' clothes and to do 'normal' hobbies. Normal clothes now consist of extremely tight shorts and shirts that basically allow your boobs to tumble out of them and normal, acceptable music is usually almost always about sex and drugs.

People like Nicki Minaj, Kim Kardashian and various other celebrities are now considered idols for kids even though their lyrics are completely inappropriate and their bodies and many plastic surgery appointments send the wrong message to young girls. Yet they're all anyone ever talks about when it comes to music, if I were to ask someone about Billy Joe Armstrong, Mark Hoppus or Kurt Cobain their first reaction would be 'who the fuck is that' and after I finish explaining their identities the reaction tends to be something like 'what a faggot'. When in reality they help many people through their words and what they believe in.
(A.N if you are offended please read the disclaimer at the end of the chapter so you don't get to butt hurt.)

"Alaska!" I was broken from my thoughts and turned to find my mother's retreating figure, I guess it's dinner time.
I trudged into the house pulling the sleeves of my oversized sweater over my hands to create sweater paws. "Alaska sweetie don't do that you'll stretch them!" I looked down at the far too big sweater that I was currently drowning in, 'how could I stretch it it's already massive?' I sighed and stopped even though my mum's logic was flawed, it's best if she stays in a good mood.

I sat down at the only empty seat at the dining table before scooping large amounts of food onto my plate. "I've been thinking" my mum stated causing me to hum in reply. "We could do with a holiday" I stopped eating and looked up at her in surprise. "Really?"                                                   "Yes, consider it a reward since you've been doing so well at school" a huge smile broke out on my face and I couldn't help the giddy laughter that came out of my mouth. "Where to?" "America" my mouth fell open as I processed this information, wow America I've never even been out of Australia.

"Yes, we will be staying in a small town just outside of L.A named Tyson" I nodded in approval, "That's an interesting name" I noted gleefully. "I suppose it is" my mother had finished her food so she got up and rinsed her plate in the sink.
She then walked up the stairs without a sound, not even a 'goodnight' or  a 'love you'. I let out a sigh before finishing my food and rinsing my plate like my mother had, this is what happened most nights, we ate dinner together and then quietly went up to our rooms as if we weren't even related.

I went upstairs and jumped on to my bed causing it to make a loud squeak that caused mum to yell at me from her room at the other end of the hall. I rolled my eyes, I can't wait until I'm eighteen and I can do whatever I want but sadly I'm only fifteen at least I will be sixteen in a few weeks. I stared up at the ceiling and thoughts about my father suddenly came swirling into my head making me dizzy. 'Where is he?' 'what was he like?' 'why did he leave?' 'did he not want me?' I shook my head to try and get rid of the nagging questions that I will never find the answers to.