|29|

I know that picture of August isn't really him at the funeral but just use your imagination please. I used that picture for a reason.

-MeMe

See You Again

A few days later

August (POV)

"Aug ya' ready fa' dis'?" Trav called out to me.

"Y-Yea man, let's go see our nigga off wit'a bang!" I managed to laugh that out through my already forming tears.

Today was the day. The day that we sent my nigga off for good. It felt so unreal right now, like my brother is laying in a casket right now waiting to be put six feet under. This feeling I was having was so bitter sweet because I knew he was resting, but at the same time I'm gone miss my role model. My brother.

All the good memories we had that were now overwhelming my mind.

Sitting on the edge of the bed I let my mind swarm with the thoughts of my brother and what Mani had told me. My brother made it man, he made it to the place he'd taught me to strive to get to.

My nigga made it to the promise land; all I ask of him is to save me a spot right next to him and have a bunch of bad females waiting for me.

I wiped the tears away from my face and stood up putting on my shoes.

Since this was my brothers day of remembrance, and not sadness, we decided this was not a time to weep over his death but to rejoice. Mani had came up with the idea to have an all white home going instead of the normal all black, and everyone loved it. So, that's what we're doing.

Sadly Mani won't be able to accompany me since she's still healing from the terrible ordeal she had to go through all on her own, but she won't go through one more thing if I'm not right there by her side. I promise that to Melly B.

I would have brought my girl, but I refused to bring Crystal considering Mel didn't like her. I wouldn't dare disrespect my brother by bringing someone he didn't care for to his going away party.

I walked out the door and was greeted by all my loved ones and Mel's associate's. The one thing I can say about them is they some real ones. They pitched in on the funeral and even helped everybody feel a bit better about his death. Unlike most hood niggas you know, they actually stuck around for the worst instead of going ghost on us. And for that I thank them.

Mama didn't have ta' pay a dime...

Walking over to my mama and wrapping my arms around her, I kissed her forehead.

"He was a great man, huh?" She smiled up at me.

"Da' greatest mama."

*

*

*

"We are gathered here today to celebrate a life that was well lived." The pastor spoke into the mic.

As he was speaking I took a look around the packed church and couldn't help but to smile at all the people.

All the people that my brother's death impacted, all the lives that he changed just by being the person he was.