|18|

Two Bundles Of Joy

August 28, 2010
8:10 a.m

August (POV)

I woke up and noticed I was wrapped around Mani's body, engulfing her body into mine. I'm surprised I didn't suffocate her the way I was holding on to her, but I guess she wasn't phased because she was sleeping peacefully in my arms, still bundled up inside the covers.

I slid out of the bed and made my way to the kitchen where mama was preparing what smelled like a gourmet type of dish. I took a seat at the island in the middle of the kitchen and waited for her to turn around and continuously bombard me with questions about last night. My mother was a nosy one, like any other mother, but this time she had good reason to be.

As if she could hear my thoughts, she turned towards me stopping everything she was doing in the process and walked over to the counter and rested her elbows on top of it.

"Ok I'm ready, tell me what happened last night Aug, what stressed ha'?"

"Ion' know what made ha' relapse like she did, but I found out why she hurt so bad."

"What ya' mean."

"Ya' know, why ha' pain always find a way back into ha' life."

"Oh ya' mean da' days she'a mope around, but try ta' play it off?"

"Look at'cha bein' all smart." I grinned.

"Awwww shut up and tell me what ya' found out."

"I can't Ma dukes."

She shot her head up at me, staring me down before she spoke.

"And why da' hell not?"

"Cause it's not my place ta' tell ya', she almost had a heart attack tellin' me. True enough ya' my moms, but it's not my decision ta' tell ya'.... it's ha's."

She stared at the counter top for a minute placing her hand on her temples, something she always did when she was deep in thought. She stayed there so long that the food began to sizzle louder in my ears, making me get up and go flip the pancakes in the pan. I waltz back over to my mothers side and tapped her shoulder lightly to break her from her daze. She slowly gazed at me through saddened eyes.

"She gone tell ya' when she ready mama."

She let out a deep sigh followed by a slight smile.

"I-I know."

"I promise she will ma." I tried to reassure her.

"I know August, I juss' want ha' ta' know she can trust me wit' anything, I know I'm not ha' mama, but she is still my baybeh dat' I luh' with a passion."

I don't know what it was, but for some reason my love and admiration for my mother just grew ten times hearing those words leave her mouth. I couldn't control my arms from swinging around her shoulders and pulling her into a bear hug.

All that I could think about was how loving my mother really was, how she was always in my corner. There were days she use to starve so that me and my siblings could eat. Even though she threw me to the side from time to time, I knew without a doubt she still loved me. I was one of the most grateful people on earth to have a mother like mine.