|17|

I Promise I Will

August 28,2010
12:02 a.m.

August (POV)

We'd finally pulled into mama's driveway, it took us a good hour since I couldn't speed like I'd originally planned to do. I had to drive slow due to all those bumps and potholes that would cause the car to shake violently when going fast. I didn't want to hurt Mani anymore than she already was so I decided to take things slow, not wanting to cause her anymore pain.

I practically jumped out the car shoving the keys into my pockets and running to Mani's side of the car. Opening the car door I had to take a few steps back shocked at the unbelievable image before me. Sweat was covering her entire body, I pushed the braids back that were sticking on her forehead so that I could see her eyes. After I made sure she wasn't seizing, I scooped her up in my arms, ready to tend to her needs.

"Ahhhhh!"

"I know mama, ya' wanna go ta' da' hospital?"

"No- Ahhhh! Juss' get me in da' house please Aug!"

After hearing those words I ran to the front door full speed, I shifted my hand underneath her so that I could open the door. She tried to tell me something but it came out as a high pitched squeal.

"Don't talk ma, I gotcha." I reassured her.

I pushed the door open to the house and was instantly met by a furious mama cussing up a storm in the kitchen.

"Mani I don't care how mad I am, ya' know ya' curfew in dis' house! I told ya' 11 o'clock dat's all I asked of ya', but nooo ya' wanna disresp-,"

She stopped in the middle of her mini rant and looked between me and Mani, I guess she saw the terrible state Mani was in because in a split second her face changed from pissed to worried, confused, and scared. She rushed over to me and Mani's side and pushed me over to the couch.

I've never seen my mama so scared and seeing her this frightened had me about to freak the fuck out. It's kinda like when I was a little kid I was never scared of bugs and shit like that but one day me and my mama were cooking and she seen a spider. I wasn't phased by it but when she got scared I damn there pissed my pants. What I'm trying to say is when she's worried like this I'm just as worried and frantic as her.

"What happened?!" She asked looking at me with tears already filling in her eyes.

"I-I don't know ma?!"

"Why da' hell didn't ya' take ha' ta' da' damn hospital August?!"

"She didn't wanna fuck-,"

"Stop."Mani croaked.

"Mama I'm fine,"She told her,"I'm sorry fa' breakin' curfew but I'm fine, ok? Now go get some rest, I luh' you." She said giving mama a slight smile.

"Mani ya' not fine, ya' can't even move!"

"Mama." I interrupted.

"What boy?!"

"I got ha', ok? I know exactly what ta' do, juss' go get some rest ma."