Chapter Forty Three

→Flashback←

-Ethan's POV-

Knoting my tie, I smoothed it over so any wrinkles weren't evident in it. Today's the day of my ball. To select a perfect lady to rule by my side of my beloved country, Ćenàla.

I heard a rapping at my door.

"Enter."

"Are you ready my son?"

I turned around at my father's voice. I smiled at walked over to him. Zachary, my father also King of Ćenàla.

My father was fourty-five years old but don't let his age fool you. He was 6'3, buff, and radiated power. As soon as he walked in a room, it was as if everyone feared him but they also respected him.

And that's what I wanted. To be respected, not feared.

"I'm a little nervous."

I turned back towards the mirror to see if I looked okay. I heard him chuckle and the thumping of his shoes, he was walking towards me.

He clasped a hand over my shoulder and lightly shook me.

"Its okay to be nervous. I was nervous about almost every ball I attend to as a lad."

"What a liar dad. You are never nervous about anything," I told him while rolling my eyes playfully.

He took his hands off of me to attend to his own appearance. "You're right. I'm never nervous."

We shared a laugh before my mother came and told us we had fifteen minutes before the ball.

"Thanks dear. We'll be there in a second," he told my mother. She nodded her head and exited the room, closing the door behind her.

"So I came here to talk about something important," he sighed before taking a seat in a chair. I slipped a hand through my hair, hoping to quiff it perfectly. "And what's it about?"

"Sit down Ethan."

I looked at him and held up a finger, needing another minute. I quiffed my hair one more time before taking a seat with my father.

"So what's so important?" I asked him.

"I've been hearing the palace that you've been having a affair with this...this nigger."

Carmen.

She's not a nigger.

"Father look-."

"I will not allow this Ethan. You tell her that you're not interested and you are not allowed to see her."

"But dad-."

"You will before I find her myself and hang her in front of my cherry tree. A perfect reminder to you to do as I say."

Anger coursed through my veins. I be damned if he do that to Carmen.

I stormed out of the room before I said something or do something that I regretted.

I smirked.

She's coming tonight and he isn't going to act a fool in front of everyone.

-Carmen's POV-

I sat on my terrance. Contemplating on should I bail on Ethan or not.

I had nothing to wear and what if he finds another girl that looks ten times more amazing than me and he forgets all about me.

"Carmen," I heard my mother call.

I turned and saw her coming out.

"Yea momma," I said.

"Ain't you supposed to be getting ready for the ball?" She raised her eyebrow at me.

I've been talking about it since forever to momma and she was excited for me as well.

"I don't know if I want to go anymore," I told her.

She gaped at me and grabbed my hand.

"Why not Carmen? I thought you liked this guy."

I swallowed and hung my head down. "I do but.."

"But what?" Momma said before placing a finger under my chin to lift my head up.

"Its a ball ma. There will be thousands of skinny, rich, models, princesses and every other woman in the room. Ethan would probably fall in love with them. Not me."

"Carmen Taylor Brown. I thought I've raised you better than that. A beautiful, confident, black woman. Who doesn't give a damn about how another one woman looks as long you know that you are just as beautiful as you she is. Hell you maybe look better."

"But momma its just-."

"Look sweetheart. I'm not saying this just because I'm your mother but I'm being honest. You look maybe a thousand times better than those girls because they're not real. They've maybe had liposuction just to get to the "acceptable size". They maybe anorexic, God bless their souls, to stay thin. Baby, that's why Ethan took a liking in you. He's looking for something real."

I tried taking in what momma said. I understand what she's saying but, I still don't fell beautiful.

"Come child, let's see if your momma still got some tricks up her sleeve."

She grabbed my arm and dragged me in the house. That's when everything got messy and ballistic.

She bathed me, even though I'm eighteen; waxed me, shaved me, modeled me, and everything you could think of.

After maybe two hours of primping me up, momma covered my eyes and walked me over to the tall viewing mirror.

"Ready baby?"

I took a sigh to relax myself. "I guess I am."

I could feel my mother beaming at me.

"On three okay?"

I nodded in agreement.

"One."

....

"Two."

....

"Three."

I felt her hands remove from my eyes and I gasped.

The gown that I had on was absolutely stunning and my makeup and hair was gorgeous. Everything from the tip of my head down to my feet was amazing.

I turned towards momma and began fanning my eyes to keep from crying. Momma was already in tears and was wiping them away.

"I told you baby. You look beautiful," she said.

I looked on the mirror once more, absorbing my appearance in.

"Hold up baby girl. You're missing something else."

I gave her a confusing look. What could she possibly be missing?

I heard her exiting the room. I turned to see every angle of the gown and myself. My momma still got it.

She came back with a box.

She opened it and was a necklace. A 14k gold, silver, rose pendant. A simple yet elegant necklace. She took it out of the box and placed it around my neck.

"Perfect."

I beamed at her and she set the box on the dresser. She looked at the clock and gasped.

"Come on Carmen, the driver is waiting for you."

We bolted down the stairs and out the door.