Chapter 27: (V)

This chapter is written in Victoria's point of view.

I just couldn't believe it. I left Brooklyn's second floor suite shaking. Why? I don't know, I honestly don't.

Was I angry? I don't know. I mean, I knew this time would come at some point in his life. I just didn't know it would be now.

It wasn't Lola that made me angry. I knew her, not enough to say I'd trust her, but enough to know she meant well.

True, I had noticed her swigging champagne, and a lot of it, and walking around alone a lot of the time with no parental advice or guidance. Maybe that's why she was with Brooklyn. Maybe she just wanted to feel looked after for a change.

And him? Now that's a mystery. I never know what he's feeling, what he wants - well I know that now - and suddenly he's off doing whatever with someone he's just met.

I tore myself away from my thoughts and wiped my eyes, walking faster down the corridor.
The kids would be fine with the nanny until we'd sorted this out.

I headed down to the lobby in the lift to collect extra luggage I'd stored down there.

As I waited for the lift, David caught up with me.

"Hey." he put his arm across my back.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Me? I'm not the one crying here."

I gave a watery chuckle, even though I couldn't see anything funny.

"I know, I know." I wiped my eyes. "I just want him to be safe and happy. And now he's finally growing up. And he's doing it at my fashion week which I worked so hard towards."

It sounded so irrelevant when I said it out loud.

"I know."The lift arrived and luckily it was empty, for when we got inside David gave me a long, warm, hug.

I knew that he would always be there to support me, no matter what.

We stepped out of the lift in the lobby and I was feeling a lot better by now, although still unsure what we were we're going to do.

The lobby was busy, lots of people were milling around as the show had just had a break.
I joined the queue for the front desk and David stood beside me, his hands in his suit pocket.

"Mrs Beckham!" I heard a polite yelp behind me. My head spun round in a flustered panic - I don't know what I was expecting.

A small, short grey haired lady came rushing over to me, carrying a bunch of clipboards and folders.

"Can I help you?" I asked as politely as possible.

"I saw your collection on Monday." she said breathlessly. "What wonderous creations! I have fallen completely in love!"

"Thank you." I replied, rather taken aback by this.

"Sorry, I should introduce myself." she held out a small hand. "I'm Celia Line, editor of 'Fashion Today!' , We were wondering whether we could do a five page featurette on your collection?"

"That would be...wow...that would be just amazing!" I'd always tried to promote my collection but I'd never actually been featured in a magazine before.

"We'd also need to interview you, it won't take too long, about 40 minutes, shall we say, tomorrow at one?"

"Well, we were actually just about to le-"

"She'd love to." David cut in before I had the chance to respond fully.

"Excellent." Celia grinned and scribbled something down onto one of her clipboards, then hurried off to see another person.

"What did you do that for?" I hissed, turning to David.

"You were about to lose that opportunity!" He exclaimed. "We can stay here one more day, right? We can't let Brooklyn's foolish actions stand between you and your career."

I sighed. "You're right. Let's get out of this queue."

We apologised to people right and left, and then David said he'd get the kids while I talked to Brooklyn. It was a task I'd rather delay, but unfortunately having children doesn't come with a snooze button.

I knocked gently on the door of his room, but there was no answer.

"Brook? It's me, Mum." I said gently, thinking that he'd ears enough shouting from us so far today.

He opened the door a tiny bit, his eyes red yet angry. A pillow lay on the opposite side of the room; I presumed it had been hurled there in fury. Brooklyn didn't say anything to me, he just sat down on his bed and waited for me to speak.

"Brook, I'm sorry that your father and I were so angry and upset. You have to understand that-"

He seemed to draw courage to speak from my apology, because he interrupted me.

"Mum, look I'm so sorry, and if I could change things now I would, and now it's too late, and I'm going to be the family disappointment in all our success I'm going to be the failure, and-"

"Calm down." I put my hand on his shoulder. "When did you become such a worrier?"

"I've always been like this." he replied glumly.

I sat in shock for a second, wondering how one of my children could be so paranoid about the media and I had failed to notice it. There is truly no such thing as a perfect mother.

"Well, all you can do now is try and turn it around. I have an interview tomorrow afternoon so your Dad says we can stay for the last night."

I saw a glimmer of hope flickering in his eyes. I couldn't let that glimmer die.

I continued.

"So I think you should go and apologise to Lola, make things up with her, and tell her she still has a chance modelling for me if she plays her cards right. And I think your father might still be angry for some time to come."

"But you're not angry?"

"No." I sighed, admitting it to both him and myself. "I just wish you didn't have to grow up in the spotlight."

Hey guys! I know I said I wouldn't write another chapter in ages, but I couldn't help myself!
I felt like a change, which is why this chapter is in Victoria's perspective instead of Brooklyn's or Lola's.

The last chapter was quite scary to write but I'm glad I did as I got loads of comments about it. Chapter 26 is definitely one of my favourites!

I especially love the line David comes out with. "Brooklyn, put your clothes back on you stupid boy."
I don't know, I just really love that!

Please leave a comment to tell me what you think (I'm always going on about them because I'm totally obsessed with reading comments) and vote if you enjoyed reading.

Xx

Fluuctuate