Chapter 45: (B)

When we eventually broke apart, hands on each other's faces, breathing hard from the energy of the kiss, I wondered who would speak first. Looking into her eyes, I decided to break the silence.

"Lola, why wouldn't you let me see you?" I said all at once.

She turned away, frowning at my words. "You know why. I needed time, Brooklyn. I found out some really shocking stuff, I can't just carry on as normal."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you to see me. I was thinking of myself." I confessed.

"No, it's okay." She smiled warmly. "I shouldn't have pushed you away."

"Well you have me now." I smiled back. Oh, that sounds so cheesy. I'm a hopeless romantic. "So, how are you?"

"I'm okay." She shrugged. "I'm moving back in with Mum and Dad. They're picking me up from here on Wednesday night." She bit her lip.

A feeling squirmed in my stomach. "So you're going back to Luton? With... your Dad?"

"Yup."

How can I tell her what I saw? Or did I see anything? Her dad just met up with someone and spoke to them for a bit. But if I tell her, that means I'll have to tell her I followed him. No way am I owning up to that. Still, her dad is up to something, I'm sure of it. I'll just have to keep an eye out and wait and see.

I can't let her go back home to him. I need her, here with me, by my side. I won't let her leave me. I have to stop her. And her Dad can help me with that.

"Did you get my text? About your D-"

"Yeah I did." She folded her arms, lips tightened.

"And?"

"And I think it was rude. It's out of your place to talk about my family. My father may have a dark past, he may have not seen me since I was a kid, but he's my father, and he's nothing to do with you."

I took a step back, shocked by her retort.

"You-you what?" I stammered.

She sighed and stepped closer to me, face all apologetic. "I'm sorry. I appreciate your concern, Brooklyn, really, I do. But..." She struggled for words. "It's not up to you."

"Don't worry about it." I snapped.

"Really?" Her face withered, hurt, but I ignored it.

"Yeah. Just forget it." I threw out the words meaninglessly, not caring what I said.

This left a tense atmosphere, so I stormed out of the room, leaving Lola on a phone call with her Aunt and went to get a cup of coffee, despite just spending a 3 hour shift surrounded by the substance.

"You alright?" asked Mum, turning away from where she was chatting and laughing with Felix and Anya.

"Yeah..." I sighed, running my fingers through my messy hair.

She left the conversation, leaving Felix and Anya discussing the previous fashion week and came over to the other side of the kitchen, joining me in sitting down at a stool on the island, a steaming mug in her hands.

"No you're not." She put down her coffee and put an arm around me. "Tell me what's wrong quickly so I don't have to go through the second awkward mother son chat this week."

I chuckled. "It's Lola. Her Dad's just come back from South America, with a bit of a difficult past."

"I know. Your Dad told me. What's changed now?"

"She's going back to live with him on Wednesday. And I don't want her to." I told Mum about following Lola's Dad the other day, and what I saw.

She considered the foam of her cappuccino for a moment, staring into it's white bubbly depths.

"Hmmmm... well it does sound a bit suspicious. Should you have done that?"

I shrugged. "I was doing it for her."

"Were you? Or were you thinking of yourself? Needing a reason for her to stay?"

"Maybe. I think that's what Lola thinks."

"Go and talk to her then!" She nudged me with her elbow, raising her mug to her mouth.

"Thanks Mum." I grinned, getting up as she went back to her colleagues.

I strode back into the room, but stopped at the door when I saw she was still on the phone with her Aunt Sally.

"...I don't know...." Lola was saying, "No, I don't know how I feel!" There was a pause while the voice at the other end of the phone spoke, indistinct echoes that I couldn't understand.

"Do I love him?" She laughed as she questioned the words. I stood back into the shadows, holding my breath. "What kind of question is that? How am I supposed to know?" The voice on the other end spoke again.

"Yeah, okay, sure. Go, get back to your models! Okay. See you soon. Bye."

She turned round as I advanced further into the room.

"Oh. Hi."

"Hey beautiful."

She exhaled as I spoke, evidently melting at my words.

"Is your Mum ready to shoot again? Do I need to get back in place?"

"No, I just wanted to talk."

"Again?" She re folded her arms.

"Again. This time I really do want to apologise."

"Do you now?"

"Yeah I do! Lola, I was stupid, I shouldn't have done anything. It's up to you what you do. But if you leave and go home, I'm gonna miss you."

"Was that what you were trying to say?"

"Yeah." I nodded, biting back my words.

"Tell me." She put her hands on me arms, but it wasn't in the kind caring way like Mum. Even now, when she touched me, it was electric. Like sexual fireworks. I was overcome with feelings, just like at fashion week. But that ended in disaster.

But even the touch of her hand, the feel of her skin on mine, was enough for me to open my heart to her, to tell how how I felt.

"You..." I struggled with words at first, wondering how best to express my emotion. "You've meant more to me than anyone before. I need you, Lola. I don't want you to go. I..."

"Say it." She whispered in my ear, as though kissing my cheek.

"I lo-..." I sighed, jagged breaths with frustration.

"We'll say it together. On three." She breathed. "One."

"Two." I said.

"Three." She replied.

"I love you." We both murmured.

Hey guys! How are you all? I hope you all enjoy this chapter.

I had my first week of exams this week, and tough would be an understatement. I've never been more mentally stretched. But they'll be over on 21 June, so I have a whole summer to finish this book. Do you have exams? How are they going?

You may have noticed I'm not updating Runaway as much as Stop Me. That's just because I want to finish this quickly and focus on Runaway.

What do you think/hope is gonna happen in the rest of the book? Comment below!

Thanks again for 80k, don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me for more!

Xx

Fluuctuate