Chapter 44: (L)

Monday arrived rather quickly. Quicker than I thought it would.

Aunt Sally woke me around eight o clock.

"Okay honey?" She called as she opened my bedroom door.

"Yeah." I groaned, getting up and rummaging for a hairbrush. I have to look good today. Not for Brooklyn! I don't even know if he'll be in the house. What does it matter? It would be nice to speak to him though. He was a bit weird with me, having a go at Dad and all that.
Maybe he's just annoyed I didn't speak to him when he called for me the other day.

I got dressed into my blue skirt and a baggy tucked in shirt. I hadn't brought a lot of clothes with me as I thought I was only going to fashion week, and I'll probably get given clothes to wear for the shoot anyway.

I didn't put on any makeup as Victoria and Felix had told me to 'appear natural' (although I did put on a sneaky bit of mascara and some tinted lip balm).

I ate breakfast with Aunt Sally, and we were chatting and laughing so much I'd nearly forgotten all my troubles.

"Listen, I've got to work today, so here's a key. I might not be here when you get back."

"That's fine." I told her as I took the key with a lipstick keyring on it.

"Do you need anything else? Money, charger?" She looked concerned.

"Aunt Sally, I'll be fine." I assured her.
I knew she was worried after the week I had had, what with everything with Brooklyn and now Mum and Dad.

She drove me round to the Beckham's on the way to her work, and I made a bit of a fuss of getting out of the car, adjusting my hair and my top and double- no sorry - triple checking that I had everything with me. I was a bit nervous about just ringing their doorbell, which coincidentally sat on a huge pair of wrought iron electric gates. Maybe I was hoping someone would come out and meet me.

Aunt Sally drove off for her make up appointment, leaving me cold in the breeze despite my denim jacket.
Reaching out nervously, I pressed the cold steel buzzer.

"Hello?" Came Victoria's voice.

"It's Lola." I said, hoping that would be enough.

"Lola, darling, come in." Her voice turned warmer with recognition.

I went to reach out and push the gates but they opened of their own accord. I rolled my eyes on the inside. Electric gates, Lola.

Victoria came to the door and opened it into the most glamorous hallway I've ever seen. And I spent a week at the Mayfair, so that's saying something. You can sooooo tell she's a fashion designer by her home.

She showed me into the back room which was huge and wide but empty except a huge white fabric screen on one wall and a camera set up, where a lady with streaky blonde hair was testing lighting.

"Anya, our photographer." Victoria gestured to her as she tottered through the array of backdrops and fabrics on the floor.

"Oh." I replied, a little bit surprised. I thought, or rather assumed, that given Brooklyn's perhaps photographic future aspirations, his mother would have allowed him to photograph the shoot. I guess I was wrong.

Where is he anyway? Not to think too highly of myself, but he's been jumping at every opportunity to see me for days.

"Is, um, is Brooklyn in?" I asked, trying to sound casual. It's a casual question, right?

"He's at work, coffee shop down the road," she turned her head round, smiling at me knowingly. "He won't be long."

"Yeah, okay." I said in a light tone.

Footsteps came down the corridor, and I turned to see Felix, the assistant manager at Victoria Beckham Designs.

"Dah-ling!" He exclaimed, practically skipping camply over to hug me. He also air kissed four times. Four?!

I was styled into a contemporary dress, the same material to the one I'd worn at fashion week, but longer and navy blue. Once again it accentuated my body in all the best ways, and made the most of my figure.

This woman is not a designer, she's an artist. She's a scientist! How does she do this?

Halfway through the shoot, the door opened at the other end of the house.

"Mum? Sorry I'm late, Matthew made me clean out the espresso machine."
I heard a familiar voice that threw me off balance, sent a shiver down my spine and erupted a flock of butterflies in my stomach.

Only one voice could do that to me.

The kind of voice that whispers in my ear and sparks up goosebumps on my neck, while it's hands crept up the sides of my skirt and it's teeth bit into my chest.

Thinking of these things, I took an involuntarily sharp gasp of breath.

"What's wrong Lola?" Victoria asked.

"Is the dress too tight? I can adjust it." Felix came over from where he was analysing my modelling and started pulling at the waist of the dress.

"No, it's fine, hones-" I trailed off as Brooklyn walked into the room.
After seeing him everyday, and then not seeing him for a while, it was weird to see his freckly brown face and soft hazel eyes coming into the room.

"Lola." He stated. It wasn't a question. It seemed that he had known I would be there but had forgotten.

I wanted to run to him, to yell at him to kiss me and hold me. It had felt like so long, like we'd been apart forever. Despite him insulting my father, and annoyingly stalking me, I'm totally obsessed with him.
"Brooklyn." I refrained from saying my thoughts aloud.

The atmosphere in the room had become almost unbearably awkward.

"Let's take a break there, shall we?" Victoria smiled at everyone and led Felix and Anya into the kitchen for tea, leaving Brooklyn and I to talk.

Except we didn't talk. We stared at each other, nothing but tension between us. It all came back to me, how he had said things against my Dad, who although had a drug dealer in the past, tried to make it up to me and I loved him dearly. That was unacceptable. How could Brooklyn be like that?
I remembered how he had persisted to see me despite my insisting he didn't. That, I must admit, was romantic.

What do I say to him now?

He didn't say anything either, just stared back at me with his eyes burning into mine.

Then we flew at each other, his lips plunging onto mine, hands all over each other.

I've missed this. I've missed him.

Hey guys! Sorry you've had to wait so long for this, but my GCSEs started today. I know I keep going on about my exams but I'm determined to do well as this is the first step to building myself as a person.

I've written a long chapter as I feel really bad for leaving you guys hanging for so long, but there probably won't be another for a while.

Thanks for so many lovely comments and all the votes and reads! Love you guys

Xx

Fluuctuate