Chapter 1: Lola

"I'm not going." I said firmly, sitting down at the table and opening the cornflake box.

Mum sighed. "Lola you know you have to."

"No. Mum I don't want to."

Today should be a good day. It's the first day of the two week long October half-term. But today hasn't been a good day so far.

It's London Fashion Week next week and my mum is imminent that I go with her. She's an events manager and she's working on her biggest project yet, one of the most important weeks in the fashion industry. Mum's sister, my Auntie Sally, is a makeup artist for the models, you know, and she managed to sneakily slip a hint to the man in charge that Mum is an events manager.

So she got the job and she's off to fashion week to 'manage' things, and by the looks of it, she's taking me too. But why would I want to see some anorexic models marching up and down in weirdo clothes? Plus, I'd much rather stay here for the week. I can just chill with my friends over and maybe even throw a party. It would be quite cool to live by myself for a week.

"But Lola, darling you have to come! You can't stay here all by yourself for a week! The government will lock me up for neglect!" My mum cried, waving her hands around in the air frantically.

This is the biggest project she's ever had and to say it's stressing her out would be an understatement. She's a workaholic as it is.

"I'm sixteen Mum! I'll be fine."

She looked at me. A look that I knew meant no.

"Personally I don't know what your problem is. Most girls your age would be happy to come." She continued.

"Look, Mum, I just don't really care about fashion." I said through a mouthful of cereal, but deep down knowing that my excuses were no good. Mum knew too.

"You never know," She insisted, smiling, "You might find you actually enjoy it. Just do what I do, put on your best dress, fancy makeup and a look to kill. Everyone will treat you like royalty."

"But I don't care about being treated like royalty...." I complained, thinking longingly of a week to myself at home, or going out with my friends whenever I want to, just for a week. "Mum, what about my plans for this week? Or don't I matter to you anymore?!" I joke, pouting and tossing my light brown hair.

"Oh Lola," said Mum, sitting on the chair next to me and putting her arm on my shoulder. "Of course you matter to me, you're my number one priority."

I knew she was lying. As always I'll come second to work, and this would be worse than usual as it's such a big project. She'll go off and manage things and I'll get stuck watching some boring fashion show. Ignored in the background while I could be staying at home relaxing with my mates.

I picked up my phone even though she's still talking and quickly send a text to a few of my friends.

Have to go to Fashion Week. Ugh. Looks like Thursday's off. See you after half term.

Mum was still talking. "....Which is why I've made sure you can watch all the fashion week action from the front row!" She exclaims, as if this is the best treat in the world.

I groan quietly. I face up to facts. I really do have to go to Fashion Week, so I might as well have some fun.