Chapter 40: (L)

The first night at Aunt Sally's was great. She made me feel really at home, serving up delicious food, and then sticking on a girly movie to finish off the night.

Eventually, when I was tucked into the cosy spare room bed (all the stuff had been cleared away and into a cupboard) it was about half past nine, an early night, much needed after the week, and the day, I'd had.

.....................

The next morning I woke early, struggling to remember my dream.
Aunt Sally was already up when I plodded into the kitchen in my pyjamas.

"Morning!" She sang. "How does blueberry oatmeal sound?"

"Amazing." I sat down at the table.

"Excellent." she plonked a bowl of it down in front of me. I poured on milk and started eating straight away. Aunt Sally's food is to die for.
No wonder she's so - above the average size.

She sat down opposite with the same breakfast as me, and started chatting as we ate.

"Your mum called late last night. She wants to come and see you today."

"Does she have to?" I felt like I could get used to the life I was living at the moment, at least for a couple of days.

"We had a good sister to sister chat. She feels really bad about everything and she just wants to tell you she's sorry and - well she can tell you herself. She'll be popping over a bit later."

I sighed. "Fine, fine." I don't like being without Mum. She's always taken such good care of me when Dad left, despite being so upset about it herself. Well now we know why.

That morning, I unpacked all my clothes and Aunt Sally's put some in the wash. We had a bit of a tidy up in the flat, as all the moving of boxes last night had made a bit of a mess. Aunt Sally was distraught to discover that a deep purple liquid lipstick had leaked all over her plush white carpet.

She went out for carpet shampoo, and was back within minutes, scrubbing at the stain.
Before we knew it, it was eleven o clock, mid morning, the time that Aunt Sally said Mum was coming.

The intercom rang, and Aunt Sally looked at me questioningly. It was great how she understood me so much, knowing how even at the last minute I could still change my mind. I guess she did grow up with Mum, so she knows her pretty well.

"You answer it." I shook my head and pointed at the phone on the wall.

She gave me a look that said 'if you want', before walking over and picking up the phone. The click of the plastic seemed to echo through the apartment.

As soon as she was holding the receiver I could hear voices. Mum must be pretty desperate to see me.

"Hi, who's calling?" Aunt Sally cut into the flow of whoever was at the other end. Obviously not Mum. Probably some cold caller selling something.

Does that mean Mum isn't coming?

Aunt Sally turned to me, covering the receiver and said "Its Brooklyn!"

Oh no. Didn't I tell him I needed space? And that's not just some excuse people make in a situation. I've just found out my Dad was a drug dealer and my Mum knew about it for years. Somehow I don't think seeing the guy I nearly had sex with at fashion week (not to forget got drunk with, broke into an office, and got told off by his parents) is going to help.

I shook my head aggressively, feeling that he could hear everything I said.

"Tell him to go away! I don't want to talk now! I told him I needed space, why didn't he listen?"

"Are you sure? He seems really concerned!"

"I'm sure." I insisted.

Aunt Sally said some mumbo jumbo about me needing time to settle in and space away from him, and I sat there, thinking.

She put the phone down while Brooklyn was still talking.

"Gotta be done, he would have stood out there arguing all day otherwise."

I opened my mouth to reply, but within seconds, the intercom rang again.

"That'll be your Mum."

"I hope Brooklyn doesn't come up with her."

"Don't worry, I'll warn her."

Aunt Sally picked up the phone again.

"Hey Susie! Come on up." She buzzed for entry, and I heard Mum's footsteps bounding up the stairs as Aunt Sally opened the front door. But I also heard a second set of footsteps. Could it be...?

My suspicions were confirmed when Mum, in a floral blazer and skirt, appeared in the doorway, Dad in his leather jacket behind her.

"Dad?" I stuttered.

"Daniel." Aunt Sally crossed her arms. "I didn't know you'd be joining us."

"Thought I'd come along to the reunion." He grinned, baring perfect teeth. "Or should I call it round two?"

"Lola darling." Mum came over to me and put her hands on my face. "Your father and I are here to talk to you-"

"I didn't realise he'd be coming." I said.

"Anything wrong with that?" Mum asked, still speaking in her light girlish tone she fell into around Dad.

"No, I just didn't want to see him just yet." I tried to say it without Dad noticing, as he was still exchanging dark looks with Aunt Sally.

"Why didn't you want to see him?" Mum totally gave it away. "He's your father! He just has a bad past, that's all."

I mumbled something about needing space to think.

"Arrrr, I bet that's what you told that kid downstairs." Dad jerked his head in the direction of the street below.

"What?" My mouth went dry at the thought, the mention, of Brooklyn.

"Ringing the bell, desperate to see you." Dad continued. "Think 'e woulda broken in if I ain't a been there to stop 'im. Course, 'e took one look at me an 'e scarpered. Stupid lad."

"That's enough." boomed Aunt Sally, as ferocious as she had been in he hotel lobby yesterday. "Out, get out."

"If that's what you want. See you soon, Lola. I'll be in the car, Suzanne." Dad left, closing the door behind him.

Hey guys! I hope you enjoy the 40th chapter of Stop Me! Please also check out Runaway, my other story, as this one is almost finished. Well, not almost. But it's about three quarters through.

Thank you so so sooooo much for 70k! Wow! I'm so grateful!

Please leave a comment saying what you think about this chapter (or the whole book, I'm not fussy) and vote if you enjoyed it.

Stay tuned

Xx
Fluuctuate