Chapter 47: (B)

"Goodnight Lola." I whispered in her ear, my hands on her warm neck. "I'll see you tomorrow."
And then I left, walking off with my pulse racing like crazy and my heart beating at about a million miles an hour. Woah. That was our first proper proper kiss. We'd kissed before, quickly and meaninglessly in heated moments, but never like this. This meant something. I felt something. And I'm sure she did too.

I reached the end of the road and turned to cross, when I noticed something. Lola's Dad's car parked across the other side of the street. And, although the car had tinted windows, I'm pretty sure that was Lola's Dad inside there. I tried to look inside the Vauxhall Insignia, again, crouched behind a car, but I could make much out. I was going to have to cross over.

I ran up the road bent double to avoid being seen above the cars, and crossed further up where he couldn't see me. Why am doing this? Because I need to know. Know that I wasn't wrong. That there really is something going on and I wasn't just feeding Lola lies about her Dad to get close to her. I wouldn't do that to her. I get it that she's still upset. It's been years since she's seen him and suddenly he wants everything to do with her. A lot can happen in several years. I understand that she feels insecure and suddenly protective of her newly rekindled family. I want to fix it and to make it right, but I can't. Only she can do that when she chooses whether to go back home on Wednesday. What am I talking about? She's already made her decision. She's going home, to Luton, whether I like it or not.

I looked back at Lola's Dad, who was rolling the car window down. I ducked even further down although I knew he couldn't see me. He'd have to have like, superhuman vision, and let's be honest the dude can't even rock a leather jacket. He looked around, his shifty pale face sticking out the side of the car, the evening glow hitting the grease in his hair. Then he stepped out of the car (wearing, I noticed, that stupid jacket) and slammed the door shut behind him, locking the car as he walked away.

He swaggered onto the pavement and down the road to a pair of park gates. I saw that this was the same park I'd seen him going into before. Hmmm. My mystery radar kicked in as I hurried down the road after him.
What is he up to?

And then I saw it. The same man he's spoken to last time. Wearing an almost identical jacket. Honestly, I thought to myself, have these people no fashion sense? Oh god I sound like my mother.

I tried to get into a better position to see more, scuttling around parked cars like a rat in a sewer. I stopped when I had the perfect view of him and the other man, close enough to see what was going on but far away enough that they hopefully wouldn't see me crouching behind a car, my back aching from being bent over for the last five or ten minutes. The things I do for you, Lola.

I grabbed my phone in case I needed to take a picture of anything, and held it poised in my fingertips, ready and waiting.

"What are you doing down there?" A sharp voice said, making me jumpI looked up to see a middle aged woman with dyed golden hair looking down her nose at me and walking a yappy little dog.

"Um, tying my shoe." I turned to my laceless shoes (why oh why) and pretended to be doing up my slip on sneakers.

"Hmph." She turned up her nose and marched on. Annoyed, I turned back to Lola's Dad and the unfolding scene.

Then I saw it. A handshake and something being left in the second guys hand. A tiny bag, I squinted, seemingly full of white powder.

This is it! I've got him! I've proved it. Shock billowed like a balloon in my stomach along with realisation.
Lola's never going to believe me. I need pictures.

Fumbling for my phone, I swiped up to access the camera, but it was too late. The two men were already saying their goodbyes, bumping shoulders in farewell. I missed it. I can't have missed it. No no no no no.

I took a few pictures anyway of him walking away from this man down the street, but my heart sank as I knew it would never be enough to prove anything to Lola.

Hey guys! Sorry it's been so long since I've updated but I've been busy this summer! I've already been to Italy and my prom was last night.

I know I haven't updated Runaway in ages but to be honest I'm thinking of discontinuing it.

Thanks to TrigerBrooks for all the support and I assure you that your chapter will be written and with you soon. Please check out his books!

Love you all
Xx
Fluuctuate