Chapter 56: (L)

What a mess that night was. I cried so much I could barely walk down the road. Aunt Sally hugged me, said I could live with her and she'd look after me. That I could stay with her as long as I liked.

I honestly don't know how I got any sleep that night. I tossed and turned, cried and cried. It was the early hours of the morning by the time I'd worn
myself out and drifted off to sleep. I woke late the next morning, a headache and puffy eyes from crying.

I lay in bed for a while, just thinking. Thinking about everything. How could Dad be dealing again? He has us, his family? And Mum, she knew about it too! How could she lie to me?! It just doesn't make sense!!
And then Brooklyn, who I thought I could trust and love and believe in on this crazy world of lies. He turned out to be the one pulling the trigger in all this. He betrayed me. He took away my family. I don't know if I can ever forgive him for this.

I got up, not even bothering to look in the mirror, and walked into the main room of the flat.

To my surprise, I saw Victoria sitting with Aunt Sally and having a cup of coffee on the sofa. Maybe she's come to apologise on Brooklyn's behalf. He should have come to face me himself instead of sending anyone else. Hmph.

"Hello, Lola." She smiled, a weird expression in her eyes. Pity.

"Hi." I said, sitting down on the opposite sofa while Aunt Sally poured me coffee. I didn't bother to try and make small talk.

"How are you?" She asked, but continued before I could answer. "Sorry! That's a stupid question. I know you're not okay."

"Yeah well..." I trailed off and I felt tears in my eyes again.

"Brooklyn's really sorry his actions affected you the way they did, Lola."

"Ok." I said bluntly.

She sighed and I sipped my coffee.

"I should have known this would be difficult. You two don't want to talk to each other, I can see that. But he needs you Lola. And I think you need him too."

Behind her Aunt Sally nodded encouragingly. I'm too tired and too upset to argue. I agreed, nodding my head in response.

"I know this probably isn't the best idea, but you and Brooklyn need to make amends. My fashion line is launching next week and there's a party tonight at the Savoy. He'll be there, and you guys can talk in a normal atmosphere. Relax, and enjoy yourself. I totally understand if you don't want to come, but...." She looked at me, waiting for my response.

"No... Sorry. I just -" I looked away,  "I'm not in the mood for a party."

"Are you sure?" Victoria tried to get a better look at my face.  "You can take your mind off things a bit, and I'm sure you and Brooklyn can work things out if you try. But you have to try."

I struggled. "Okay." I said eventually, exhaling as I did so. "Okay, I'll be there."

"Well, I'll see you later then." She said awkwardly, putting her hand on my shoulder as a symbol of comfort. "Again, I'm sorry about yesterday. You deserve better, Lola."

"Thank you." Aunt Sally smiled as Victoria got up to leave. "It's really kind of you to come over and see how she is."

"It's no problem, Sally, honestly. Come to the party if you like, I'll have my assistant put your name on the guest list."

They chatted at the door, leaving me sitting there and staring into my coffee cup, thinking about later.  I'll have to face Brooklyn at some point. I work for Victoria after all. Or is that just my excuse for not admitting that I have feelings for him, despite everything.  He sold out my Dad to the cops, and he expects everything to go back to normal? I'll talk to him, but I'm not promising anything. Everything has changed now.

Hey guys! I'm sorry for no updates in a while but this is one of the very last chapters, but the end of the story is just as exciting as the rest! Thank you so so soooooo much for so many reads! It's nearly over.

Please leave a lovely comment about what you thought of this chapter and give me some feedback.

Xx

Fluuctuate