Chapter 30: (B)

I woke early, after a restless night of turning over hot and cold, thinking about Lola.

I dreamed of what we could have had, and it upset me to see it slipping away.

I got up, showered, and dressed. It was almost eight o clock, and I was unsure if any of my family would be up and ready yet, so I decided to take a walk in the park a few streets away.

I left the hotel, and strolled through the green and flowering park, the light breeze in my hair.

The sky was grey and slightly chilly, and I zipped up my jacket against it.

I walked and walked around the park, my legs stretching and moving, but I didn't really notice where I was going.

Sitting down on a bench, I sighed, my breath foggy in front of me.

I put my earphones in and blasted music, just staring at the trees, the green intricate patterns, and thinking.

I wasn't aware of time or space, and I didn't know how long I'd been sitting there, when someone sat down next to me.

Instinctively, I jumped up to fight my attacker, but turning round, I saw it was Dad.

"Oh, it's you." I said with realisation.

"Who else would it be? Anyway, I thought you'd be here."

"Why?"

"Okay, I didn't, I saw you through the window, but that's not the point."

"The point is..."

"The point is, have you made things up with Lola?"

"Sort of."

"What does that mean?"

"I don't know, I text her but she didn't reply."

"Then talk to her. Go and find her, and have a proper conversation. Today's the last day of fashion week! We're going home this evening. So is she."

I sighed. "Okay. I will." I stood up and Dad followed.

"Maybe wanna get some breakfast first? The words don't come so easily on an empty stomach."

We headed inside, and Dad text Mum to tell him that him and I were having breakfast together.

It was a very father-son breakfast. We both had bacon bagels, and talked about football, and the fashion week so far.
Dad talked about a pair of football boots he'd read about, and I talked about a leather jacket I'd seen on Instagram. Soon, I'd almost forgotten that I'd had one of the worst days ever.

As I was finishing up, I saw Lola walk into the restaurant. My eyes immediately followed her to her table, one to the left of ours and further back.

She sat down next to her mother, and another man I hadn't seen before. He was tall and tough looking, but smiled as Lola sat with them.

Mum's boyfriend? Her Dad, maybe? I don't know.

Dad must have noticed that my eyes were out of focus, because he followed my gaze, and sighed when he found what I was looking at.

"You gonna go talk to her?" He asked.

"Yeah, um, yes I am." I hesitated, but then decided to do what was right, and got up and walked over to her.

This would be the first time we'd seen each other since... well since yesterday.

"Excuse me, Lola-" I began when I reached the table, but the man interrupted me.

"And who might this charming young man be?" He held out his hand.

"I'm Brooklyn." I shook it.

"I'm Danny, Lola's Dad."

"Good to meet you."

"You too, Brooklyn." he smiled, then let go of my hand. "I'm guessing you want to speak to my daughter."

Not much of a guess, I thought, as I'd already stated that.

"That's right."

"Don't be long then, Lola." he said.

Lola beamed at him, then turned, stint faced, towards myself.

I motioned for her to follow me to the other side of the restaurant, which was almost empty.

"Listen," I began when we reached the empty side of the room, "about yesterday,"

She cut in.

"It wasn't your fault. It wasn't mine. It was both of us. You know that, Brooklyn."

"So what now? What's next for us? D'you wanna just stay friends?" There was a hint of pleading in my voice, even though I tried to disguise it.

"Yeah. Friends is good." She grinned.

I held out my arms for a hug, and she obliged, pulling my close and breathing in my scent.

When we pulled away from the hug, I left my arm around her, and we walked back to her table together.

"Quick chat." observed Lola's mum.

"Mmm." was all I could think to say.

"Lola, would you mind amusing yourself today?" Her Dad asked. "Just hang about with your Aunt or whatever. It's just that I got me and your mum some theatre tickets, I could only get two you see, and-"

"Yeah, that's fine." She replied quickly, then turned to me. "What are you doing today?"

"Oh, you know, just watching the last few shows, helping my mum out a bit."

"Can I join you?" she asked.

"Sure."

"That's a good idea." her mum smiled.

"Wait, mum don't you have to work?" She asked her mother.

"My work is done, they'll do fine without me. It is the last day after all."
She grinned and snuggled up to Danny.

"I'll see you a bit later then, Lola." I thought it was time I should leave, instead of watching her parents flirt.

"Yeah, see you Brooklyn."

I headed back to my table with something of a swagger, happy to have made things right at last. Things are looking up.

Hey guys! I'm so so sorry I haven't updated in so long, it's just that I know the way I want the story to go I'm just struggling to get there. Really bad writers block!

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the story, thank you for 42k! Wow!

If you like this, why not try my other book, Runaway?

I'm sorry this is a bit short, but I'll try and update again soon!

What do you think is going to happen?
Let me know in the comments below!

Vote if you're enjoying this!

And follow me for more!

Thanks for reading,

Xx

Fluuctuate