Chapter 31: (L)

I met Brooklyn in the lobby after saying goodbye to Mum and Dad, who were heading to the theatre.

"Ready?" He asked.
I nodded. He took my hand and we walked into the exhibition hall together, sitting in the front row.

I noticed, rather uncomfortably so, that David was sitting behind us. I turned and gave him a smile, and he responded with a trusting grin, which seemed all too enthusiastic.

"Can't shake the security then." I muttered to Brooklyn out of the corner of my mouth.

He chuckled, shaking his head, but didn't elaborate.

We watched the show together, appreciating the artwork as best we could. My feeling of being uncomfortable didn't last long though. David left after a while, saying something about seeing Victoria, leaving Brooklyn and I alone except everyone else in the exhibition hall.

"You do realise..." Brooklyn said after a while, "This is our last day together. You go home after today, and so do I. Where is home for you?"

I just realised I hadn't told him where I'm from.

"Luton." I replied.

"That's miles away! I'll never get to see you." he complained.

"I know." I sighed. "I'm gonna miss what we had now it's over."

"It wouldn't have to be."

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused.

"We never finished what we started yesterday."

"Oh, Brooklyn, I don't think that's a good idea..."

"Relax, I'm kidding." he laughed.

"Oh. Right." I giggled, embarrassed.

"But I want to make the most of the time we have today. D'you wanna go for dinner?"

"Now?"

"In about half an hour."

"Where?"

"Here. The hotel restaurant."

"I'm not dressed for dinner."

"You look great to me."

"Okay." I whispered gratefully.

We walked, hand in hand, to the hotel restaurant, where we were seated by the window. I kept staring out of it, at the busy street below, my thoughts drifting to places other than here.

What would happen after this? Fashion week is over, what now? Do I just go back to being Lola and forget Brooklyn ever happened. Surely not. There's something between us, I know it. But I can't help wondering if-

"Hey!" Brooklyn snapped his fingers in my face. "I'm treating you to dinner, the least you could do is pay attention."

"I'm sorry." my face fell.

"No," he lifted up my chin. "I'm joking."

But it wasn't funny. I didn't laugh. We only had this one golden day left.

"You seem...distracted." he said, almost asked, curiously.

"I'm fine." I stammered.

"Tell me." he implored.

I sighed, only lightly. "It's the last day of fashion week."

"I know." he seemed to realise what I meant, but wanted to stay off subject.

"But-" I protested.

"Lola, please! Can we just, enjoy today?"

"You're right."

"Now." he sat back in his chair. "Drinks?"

"After what's happened his week? No way! You've seen what happens when I drink. Not good."

"But it's the last day of fashion week!" He mocked me earlier words for his own use.

"Fine. One drink." I agreed, smiling.

Hey guys! Sorry this is sooooo short, but it's better than nothing! I haven't updated in a long time, I know, but I've been very busy with school as I have mocks in a couple of weeks.

Please let me know what you think, and if you're stuck for something to read, check out my other book, Runaway.

Vote, comment something lovely pls, and follow me for more.

Xx

Fluuctuate