Chapter 29: (L)

"W-what are you doing here?" My voice was barely more than a whisper.

"I'm meeting you and your Mum for dinner, ain't I?" He rolled his eyes.

"No, I mean here here. England."

"I'm doing business in the country, thought I'd come and visit. Aren't you gonna give your old man a hug then, after all this time?" He held out his arms and stood up.

I went over to him and hugged him awkwardly.

Mum giggled and batted her eyelashes. What has got into her?

"Why don't you sit down, Lola? We can order our food." she said in a sickly sweet voice.

I moved slowly, my legs rigid with shock.

This isn't the Dad I remember. His face is almost the same, but harder, and more tough set. His dark brown hair is gone, replaced with a shaven head. His voice is rougher too.
I suppose it has been nine years since I've seen him. But why is Mum so flirty?

I thought they hated each other.

I sat down carefully next to Mum, Dad sitting opposite.

"So, um, what's it like in Costa Rica?"

"Yes, Danny, tell us all about it." Mum grinned like the Cheshire Cat. Honestly, she is being so weird right now, I don't think anyone's noticed I've had a rough day myself.

"It's nice." he said gruffly. "Quiet. Peaceful by the beach. The bar gets busy though. I own a bar." he added, perhaps seeing my look of confusion.

"How have my two favourite girls been then?" He reached across the table and squeezed Mum's hand. She blushed and smiled.

"Yeah, I've been...good..." I said, not sure how to fit nine years into one sentence.

"It's been okay, Danny. We've both really missed you though." Mum said.

I raised my eyebrows. Every time I brought up Dad in a conversation, she just told me they didn't love each other anymore and that was that. The subject would be changed, and we moved on.

But saying we actually missed him was stretching the truth a bit. I mean, at first, as an six or seven year old girl, I really missed Daddy playing dolls with me or taking me to the park. But after a while I just got used to him not being there.

"Yeah." I added unenthusiastically.

"I've missed you too princess. Hey, I bought you something recently."
He pulled out a paper Michael Kors bag and passed it across the table.

I opened it and gasped.
Inside was a Michael Kors handbag, a clutch bag, and, sitting in it's own special box, a rose gold watch.

"Thanks, Dad." I breathed.

"Ehhh, it's no problem." he laughed. "Got your Mum something too, show her."

Mum lifted up her wrist where a diamond jewelled bracelet sat.

"Gorgeous isn't it?" Mum said, admiring it.

"Wow." was all I could say.

We ordered dinner and ate, and it was great to have a catch up with Dad. To tell the truth, it had surprised me a bit at first to see him sitting there like he'd only been gone a day, but after we'd got chatting for a bit, it was really nice.

Mum seemed totally smitten with him as well, blushing and flirting like I've never seen. I hoped I didn't look like that when I'm with Brooklyn.

Hey guys! I'm so sorry this is ever so short but I've got the worst writer's block ever! If you have any tips or ideas feel free to inbox me!

In the meantime, what do you think of this storyline? What do you think of Lola's Dad?

Please leave a nice comment telling me your thoughts and vote if you enjoyed the chapter! Follow me for updates on this and my second book, Runaway.

Xx

Fluuctuate