Chapter 32: (B)

She sipped. And she sipped. Champagne flowed between her perfectly pouted lips, sliding down her throat. One glass turned into two. Two turned into three. Even I was on my second glass, and I'm not a big champagne fan.

As the drink flowed, so did our conversation, and soon we were in hysterical laughter again about being in Mr McAdeline's office.

"His face!" Lola squealed between laughs, "His-face!"

I hit the table with laughter. "And- when he tried-to come after us!" We laughed again, my eyes screwed up with laughter until something brought me back to my senses.

A smashing sound.

I opened my eyes to see the champagne bottle on the floor, fizzing and bubbling into the probably expensive carpet, shards of green glass everywhere.

"Oops." Lola giggled. The whole restaurant had paused their meals to crane their necks over the eloquently designed menus and have a look at us.

I could almost feel one man's eyes burning into me, as he turned his young children back to their meal, hear the old lady saying 'the wild youth of today'.

I got out of my seat and bent down to pick up some glass, as a waiter came along and helped.

The chattering and clinking of cutlery resumed, but Lola seemed to have been upset by the accident.

"It's okay." I looked up at her, hands full of glass, but as I did, I sensed footsteps behind me.

"Afternoon Lola, Brooklyn."

I spun round and stood up quickly, to face Lola's Aunt Sally, Mum's makeup artist.

"Afternoon." I responded politely.
She smiled at me awkwardly.

"Lola, would you like to explain this?" She asked harshly, as the waiter scurried away with the glass in a dustpan.

Lola made to get up, but her foot snagged on the chair leg and she stumbled as she stood, but managed to get to her feet.

"You're drunk!" Exclaimed Sally.

I stepped in before she was reprimanded for my wrongdoings.

"Look, Sally, this was my fault, I suggested we have a drink, and if it wasn't for-"

She cut me off. "Thank you very much for saying that Brooklyn, but I know just whose fault this was."

"But I-" began Lola.

"Not you, either, Lola." She took Lola's hand and gestured to me to follow her as she marched off to the exit, leaving a fifty pound note on the table. "Come on." she boomed. "We're going to sort this out once and for all."

Once we arrived in the entrance, I saw Lola's parents coming through the main doors, her Mum giggling on her father's arm.

Sally stormed over to them with Lola and I in tow; a huge woman miraculously held up by those tiny heels.

"Suzanne." she thundered.

"Sally." Lola's mother observed.

"These past few days you've been acting like a lovesick schoolgirl."

Though Sally's face was straight, Suzanne still seemed to be giggling.

"Danny makes me feel young again," she gestured to Lola's Dad. "he-"

"Enough. You've been more interested in your work, and," she pointed at Lola's Dad with a look of disgust, as though he was something on the bottom of her high heeled shoe, "him, than your own daughter! Do you have any idea what kind of situation I've just pulled her out of?"

I noticed that Suzanne seemed to be squirming uncomfortably.

Lola's Dad decided to step in.
"Hey, Sal, I don't mean to be rude," - at which point Sally scoffed and rolled her eyes, "but it's not up to you how we raise our kid."

Sally seemed to grow even more. "And is it up to you then? Great father you've been, 'Dan', spending all that time with your daughter. Oh wait, you haven't! Just keep your big nose out of it."

"That's no way to speak to-" began Suzanne, but Lola seemed to have come to her senses.

"Stop!" She stood in the middle of her Aunt and her parents.

I thought it was all going to be over, and it would be kiss and make up. I was wrong.

"Your daughter has been drinking champagne, she's drunk! She had three glasses today alone! Are you sure you're keeping an eye on her?" Boomed Sally.

"I've been working hard to provide her with nice things actually! Unlike you, messing around with your little paintbrushes! You don't even have a proper job!" Yelled Suzanne in response.

Many people in the lobby were now stopping and staring. I crept around the shouting match and sat on a sofa near the reception desk. I didn't want to be involved; it wasn't my fight, and it would be bad for my image. But I couldn't leave Lola.

"No wonder she's never married." Danny said out of the side of his mouth.

Now he's really done it, I thought, looking at Sally. I thought for a moment, she was going to punch him, but then she turned to Lola, and said,

"You wanna know the truth, Lola? The real truth, about why you never see him?"

"He's-he's been living abroad, right?"

"Exactly. But ever wondered why?"

Suzanne seemed to cling on tightly to Danny's arm. He looked more nervous than ever. The unknown truth sat like an elephant in the room, a heartbeat moment waiting to be revealed...

Hey guys! Finally, a chapter! Check out my Q&A on the previous chapter!

Thanks again for 50k!

I hope you enjoy this chapter, please comment!

Xx

Fluuctuate