Chapter 53: (B)

Oh god. Oh god oh god oh god.
What have I done? Why did I ever think that this was a good idea? I should have just left whatever was going on to pan out without getting involved.
Too late now.

I don't want to go home and face the consequences. Not yet.

I walked past a group of tourists crowding around the famous Notting Hill bookshop, and cut through a park to sit and think. This was so stupid. Lola was right. I am evil. And what if I was wrong? What if I'm only seeing what I want to see.

It's far too late for that now. I plonked myself down on the grass and lay down on my bag, shrugging off my leather jacket and looking up at the grey clouds. Life was so much simpler before Lola. But I liked things being complicated. Like my feelings around her.

I grabbed my earphones and phone from my pocket and put them in, blocking out the world.
I don't know how long it was I lay there, staring into space and thinking about my actions and avoiding going home. Lola will know. Somehow she just will. Maybe she won't even be there. Maybe she's gone home.

I looked at the time when my tummy started rumbling. It was nearly five. I've got to go back. Mum will be worried, if anything. So, reluctantly, I slumped back through the streets to face my responsibility.

Mum opened the door when I got back.

"Thank goodness, Brooklyn!" She flung her arms around me. "You didn't tell me you were going out! Where have you been?"

"For a walk." I said quietly.

"A walk where? For three hours?" She raised her eyebrows sceptically.

"Later." I insisted, kicking off my shoes and shrugging off my jacket, storming upstairs to my bedroom.

She will find out, of course. Maybe they'll contact her, or have already. But it's definite now, that she'll find out this evening.

There was a soft knock on my door. I turned round to see Mum edging herself into my room.

"What?" I said, perhaps too aggressively. She responded with a warning look.

"You've got to talk to Lola." Mum sat down on the opposite side of my bed.

"No."

"No? Why not? You two were getting on great yesterday."

"Mmmm."

"Please, Brooklyn, tell me what's happened."
She knows. The police have called her and she knows.

"What d'you mean happened? Why would something have happened?"

She sighed.
"Lola was crying earlier. I don't know what about but I'm guessing something happened between you."

"Or maybe you worked her too hard."

"Brooklyn!"

"I'm just saying it wasn't me!"

She looked at me.

"Okay, so maybe it was a bit. We argued over something stupid and we both said some things."

"No wonder you're both in a mood. How do you feel about making up."

"No. I can't see her."

"What, ever?"

I shrugged. Who knows if we'll ever be okay again. When she realises that what I've done is the right thing.

"Come on." Mum persisted.

"I - " I began, but was interrupted by the doorbell.

"I'll have to get that. Probably Lola's parents picking her up for dinner."

Oh no. I checked the time on my phone. They'll be here any minute. They're probably waiting round the corner right now.

Mum got up but stopped by the door.

"Aren't you gonna come and say goodbye? I don't know when she'll be coming back here again. Isn't she going home tomorrow."

She's not going home because I've wrecked her family.

"Mmm." I replied.

I, too, got up and left the room, walking down the stairs. In the hallway, Lola was edging her way out of the sitting room. We didn't look at each other.

"Hi!" Mum exclaimed in that singsong phone-like voice that everyone has.

"Hello, Victoria!" I heard Lola's Mum say, air kissing my mother.

"Hello and what've you done with my daughter?" I heard a gruff voice joke.
The hairs stood up on my arms. He's here.

I whipped out my phone and send a single text.

Go go go.

Then I walked slowly down the stairs into the hallway. Now I was standing nearer to Lola, although we still ignored each other. Her parents were within my view. Her Dad's stupid stubbly hair was starting to grow back (yeah I know, my Dad had that haircut at one point as well, but it's no longer 2002.) and he had a huge pair of sunglasses on, despite the fact that it wasn't sunny. Ray Bans. What a show off.

Lola's mother was wearing a stripy business suit and carrying a huge designer handbag. Their outfits seemed very put-together.

"Danny!" Lola's Mum laughed, hitting her Dad playfully. "Stop!"

"Well, just pulling your leg, but it's true, we've hardly seen her."

"Okay, stop it." her mum hissed.

He seemed to get the hint. Lola stepped out into the hallway as my Mum stood back uncomfortably.

"Lola darling!" Her Mum exclaimed.

"There you are princess, what've they done with you?" Her Dad stepped into our house without invitation and pulled at Lola's face. She did look q but worse for wear; make up smudged a bit on her red eyes and hair messed up.

"Only feed her, look after her and give her a well-paid job." Mum said bitterly. You get him, Mum.

"Well, thank you so much for taking care of her." Lola's Mum smiled. "It was-"

But we never exactly found out what it was.

For it was at that moment, that the police cars surrounded the parked cars outside out house, and several men (some armed) marched to our door.

Hey guys! So Stop Me is nearly over! I'll try and write another chapter today as I go on holiday tomorrow but here we go! Only a few more!

What do you guys think/want to happen?
Do you like this storyline?

Feedback would be great.

Xx
Fluuctuate