Chapter 33: (L)

"Drugs!" Aunt Sally spat at Mum and Dad with obvious distaste, then turned to me more gently. "Your father was a drug-"

"A drug addict?" I gasped, looking from Aunt Sally, her eyes kind and understanding, then to Mum, turned away and not making eye contact, and Dad, strong but silent.

"Worse. A dealer."

"Wha-" I stuttered, not taking it in. I felt dizzy, my head spinning with shock.

"Here." I felt warm hands grip under my elbows and steer me to a seat. Brooklyn.

I looked up again to see what was going on.

"She's lying." Dad said automatically, taking his hand out of his pockets and folding his leather jacketed arms.

Aunt Sally scoffed. "Come off it, Daniel. You and I both know you've always been a terrible liar. Fooled her though." She pointed at Mum.

"Mum?" I asked. She looked at me, for about twenty full seconds, her expression unreadable.

"Lola, darling," She tiptoed towards where I was sitting. Everyone else had vacated the lobby, evidently not wanting to witness a live Jeremy Kyle show.

"Mum..." I pleaded. "Tell me it isn't true."

"What you have to understand," She turned to Dad, then back to me, as usual not giving me a straight answer. "Is that everyone has a past. Everyone makes mistakes, some bigger than others."

"You knew?"

She said nothing.

"Mum, you knew about this? Answer me Mum!"

"Don't you have secrets too, Lola?" She suddenly became very angry, her tone strict but not loud. Her words came out as a hiss. "Doesn't everyone?"

Brooklyn squeezed my hand to let me know he was there.

"Not like this." I struggled to keep my voice from breaking, caving in to the ever present possibility of tears.

"He's changed! Haven't you Danny?" Dad nodded at Mum's words. "He's a new man!"

"But you never told me-"

"We'll discuss this at home! Now come on, Lola. Get your stuff. We're leaving." Mum composed herself.

"No." Aunt Sally stepped in.

"I beg your pardon?" Mum backed away.

"She's not going anywhere with you and him." She threw Dad a scathing look.

"Where will she go then?" Mum demanded.

"She'll be living with me." said Aunt Sally proudly, drawing herself up to her full height.

"I think she should come home with us, it's been such a long time, and we need to bond as a family again." Dad smiled at me, but I looked away.

"What a load of-" Aunt Sally began, but then caught sight of me. "Maybe we should let Lola decide." She said quietly.

I thought for a moment. Who can I trust? What do I believe?
Mum and Dad, with their story of redemption?
Or Aunt Sally, her strong presence and fearlessness?

"I wanna go with Aunt Sally." I said.

"But darling-" Mum's eyes looked bewildered. She tottered backwards in her heels. "Your father's home- We can go back to being our family. You still want to see us?"

I nodded, biting my lip. "Can I just-" I sighed. "I want to live with Aunt Sally, but I still want to see you and Dad. Just- start again?" It was hard to find the words.
If he is a changed man, how do I know? I have to start again.

Hey guys! Sorry this is a short chapter, but I'm very busy as I have my mock exams in two weeks time!

Hope you're enjoying the story! Vote if you are, and let me know what you think in the comments!

Also leave some questions for my Q&A! If I get 7 or more questions I'll do it!

Check out my other book, Runaway, as its getting quite exciting!

Xx

Fluuctuate