Chapter Thirty Seven

April's POV

*The next day*

"Oh my god, you're coming?!" Aaron almost squealed as he and Belle embraced me in a bone crushing hug.

I nodded and the three of us decided to walk to school together. I was feeling good about myself today, I didn't need to listen to anyone who tries to put me down. Nothing could ruin the mood that I was currently in.

I was happy.

"Thanks for leaving us for almost a month" Jordan joked.

I hugged my friends and actually felt wanted. The feeling that meant a lot to me. I'm so lucky to have friends like mine. Ones who support me in my darkest times and the ones who help me to get myself back on track.

Aaron and Michael were right, everyone had stopped talking about the photos. Nobody said anything about them to me and I didn't get called any names that would crush my confidence. Luke gave me a weak smile when he saw me which I didn't return.

Michael, Ash and Calum were all surprised to see me enter the hallway. I waved and opened my locker and pushed my bag inside it. Emma was telling me about the drama that I had missed which was multiple fights between Luke and Ashton and also a few arguments between most of the popular girls.

"So.... Nothing new?" I smirked.

She laughed and rested her head against someone's locker. She bit her lip and stiffened which caused me to look over my shoulder to see two of the bad boys standing behind me. I knew about Emma's recent crush on Ashton but I doubt she has done anything about it.

"Hey, I'm so glad you came back" Michael hugged me which seemed to surprise us both.

He was treating me as if we have been friends since we were babies, which we weren't.. obviously. Ashton hugged me afterwards and I swear I heard Emma swoon when Ashton yawned moments later. I hoped that Ash would treat her right, which he probably will since he's a lovely person.

"Michael threatened everyone by saying if they say anything to you or your friends about.. it then he will personally beat them up" Ashton chuckled.

I gave Michael a look of disbelief and saw that his pale cheeks were tinted pink. I smiled and hugged him again and whispered a thank you into his ear. His now blonde hair brushed against my cheek as I pulled away and his hair felt so soft.

"Where's Calum?" I asked.

"He said something about going to class early. He's been acting so weird since it happened and I have no idea why" Michael shrugged.

I nodded and shrugged it off and decided not to overthink it. He's probably trying to flirt with the young teachers or some of the popular girls who hang around outside of the classrooms.

Luke approached us and I noticed the two boys had stepped forward and they both looked equally as angry as each other. Emma gave me a worried glance and I bit my lip before meeting the gaze of the boy that broke my heart.

"What do you want Luke?" I asked and moved Michael out of the way.

"I wanted to apologise. I would have preferred if we could talk privately but that probably isn't allowed" he spat between gritted teeth and glared at the two muscular boys beside me.

"I promise April, I would never do such a thing! I only took those photos to remember our first time together! I didn't want anyone else to see them so why would I post them everywhere? I may have a bad reputation but I am not like that. I would never treat someone in such a disgusting way" Luke mumbled.

"You may say that Luke but how do I know that I can trust you? You have no proof that you didn't do this. You shouldn't have taken the photos in the first place, especially without telling me!" He nodded and looked at the ground and shuffled his feet.

"You're not going to believe me.. Are you?" His voice was barely above a whisper and it cracked at the end which made my heart ache.

"I-I'm sorry Luke" I whispered.

"If I find out who did this, is there any chance of getting a second chance?" He asked quietly.

I scratched the back of my neck nervously and thought about it for a few seconds. I swallowed and shook my head. I felt a lump building in my throat and it hurt to see the boy I once loved on the verge of tears over me.

"L-Luke I'm so sorry. I don't think so.. My heart feels nothing at all.. I'm sorry" I whispered.

"I-I get it" he croaked and walked away.

I watched as he stalked further away from me and I watched his hands rise up to his face multiple times and I knew that he was crying. Why did I still care about someone who hurt me?