Ch. 51

[Elizabeth's POV]
I curl up on the floor, refusing to sleep in Ben's bed even if he's not in there with me. I wrap my blanket around me like a cocoon, and almost fall asleep. I assume Ben already is and quietly laugh at my foggy, sleep brained realization.
"Congrats fur brain, your one of the few things I've cried about. I can count those on one hand." I yawn. After a few minutes Ben's reply startles me.
"I'm not proud of that." He whispers.
"Neither am I." I whisper before slipping into a sleep, that is blissfully free of nightmares.
I wake up in the morning, and somehow managed to get under Ben's bed. I scoff at myself, and wonder how I ever managed to get under here.
"I'm the monster under your bed." I laugh. I hear Ben yawn before his sleepy voice answers me.
"Plot twist." Is all he can say. I get myself out from under his bed, and try to fall asleep again but I fail miserably. But for the sake of convenience, and a stupid urge to be with Ben, I stay on the floor.

Eventually I fall into hypnagogia, a big fancy world for half asleep. While in this wonderful state, half of my mind decides to figure itself out. Kind of like a Rubix cube almost, trying to fix the colors so everything is in order. I like the analogy, its almost a bit too perfect. And in the same way, I have no clue how to solve a Rubix cube. A loud knock on a door close by makes me jump.

"That's probably Habit." Ben voices my thoughts.

"Before the middle of the day, I am inoperational. Do you know how many months I've gone without sleeping?" I yawn, rolling over on the floor.

"Damnit I didn't catch her name. Little rabbit, come to Habit!" I hear him call from the hall.

"Just a minute." I yell, with a small giggle at his rhyme. A moment later the door swings open and I'm hauled up by strong hands on my shoulders. "Uhhhgmmm, what was that for?" I rub my eyes.

"How old are you?" Habit demands.

"Almost fourteen. Why?"

"You are to young to be sleeping with a boy!" He screeches. By now Ben is looking over from the edge of his bed. I look over to him with a 'help me!' look.

"I was just- We weren't- I had-" I panic, how could he think I was sleeping with Ben? I'm thirteen for Christ's sake!

"Chill out, baby killer, she had nightmares." Ben rolls his bloodstained eyes.

Habit grunts, obviously still not fully convinced. "I was going to knock on Maskys door but I hate making noises when it's quiet. So I couldn't force myself to knock. Ben came out for whatever reason-"

"I was thirsty."

"And said I could crash with him. We had the lights on and everything." I assure him with wide eyes. Habit sets me down and gives me a few head pats, reminding me of Gus. I get a feeling close to throwing up, and swallow it down. I can't see him again so why bother to feel sad?

"Alright. I hope your ready to do a bit of walking in the forest because I figured I could take you hunting. There's some deer and other things we can kill. I'm borrowing a few of Evan's hunting rifles, I'll teach you to shoot!"

"About that..." Ben starts.

"Oh shut it, dad," I tease, "I might just kill you if I don't shoot some fuzzy woodland animals. Lets go shoot Bambi's mom!" I cheer.

"That's a girl! Now I know I was forgetting something... What was it?"

"My name?" I offer, knowing that's probably what he means.

"Yes! Little rabbit, what is your name?" He perfects his sentence with a few well placed exaggerated motions.

"My name is Elizabeth. You can call me Liz though."

"Well what do you want me to call you?" I snicker at Ben before answering.

"Call me your little rabbit." I purr while Ben lets out a low hiss.

"Alright. Come on little rabbit, and we can go hunting!" I wiggle in excitement and follow after Habit.