Ch. 40

[Liz's POV]
I wake up presumably hours later and rub my eyes tiredly. That must have been the most I have slept in at least a year. I get up and stretch before yawning and walking out of the room.
I faintly remember someone talking to me but I have no clue who it was or what they said. It feels like a hazy half remembered dream, so I dismiss it as such. Besides, I have better things to think about. Like how absolutely stupid I am.
My stomach does a flip when I remember what I did last night and I groan. Why am I such an idiot?
I can't really think about it and figure it out though. I don't want our tall faceless friend to broadcast my thoughts. I do need to think though, as I do whenever this happens. So quietly, as to not run into anyone, I walk downstairs and slip out the front door. Once outside I run up to a tree, and jump to grab onto one of the thicker branches. I swing my legs up so I'm dangling by my hands and feet. After some scrabbling, I make myself right side up. Then I lay down on the thick branch, letting my arms and legs swing toward the ground.
It's more comfortable than I would have thought, and lulls me into a comfortable laziness that's close to sleep.
[Ben's POV]
"Where is she?!" I hear Masky shout down the hall. As fast as lightning, I shoot toward his voice.
"Elizabeth?" I ask, somewhat alarmed.
"No the other girl we've been taking care of. Of course Liz!" He sarcastically snaps.
"Maybe. Maybe she just went downstairs or something." I'm starting to panic already, although I'm sure she can take care of herself. Masky nods and dashes downstairs while I follow behind him.
"Jeff. Do you know where Elizabeth went?" Jeff stops toying with the knife if his hand to look at us.
"You didn't let her out? Jeez this house isn't a prison don't trap her in here." I look out the window and see her jacket in one of the trees out front.
"I found her. Hold up." I wave Masky away and quietly walk outside. She doesn't seem to notice me, while she sits up in the tree with her arms and legs dangling in the breeze. [Play Clocks: Coldplay]
"And a
Trouble that can't be named
A tiger's waiting to be tamed, singing
You are, you are
Confusion that never stops
The closing walls and the ticking clocks gonna
Come back and take you home
I could not stop, that you now know, singing
Come out upon my seas
Cursed missed opportunities am I
A part of the cure
Or am I part of the disease, singing
You are, you are
You are, you are
You are, you are
And nothing else compares
And nothing else compares." As I get closer I hear her singing softly to herself. I try to sit and listen, as she's not paying attention but that soon changes. Her eyes open and she flinches when she sees me. She sits herself up and brings her arms and legs closer to herself, and watches me wearily.
[Liz's POV]
When the feeling of being watched comes, I stop singing and open my eyes. As expected, someone is watching me and it just so happens to be Ben. I sit up pressing my back against the tree trunk, and curl up on myself.
"Hi," Ben smiles up at me. "Mind if I come up?" I don't know how to answer so he takes my silence as a yes. I don't know what to do, I mean I've never had this happen before. How do I make him go away? That I can understand.