Ch. 38

[Tim/Masky's POV]
I sit with her for hours before deciding to leave her. As much as it kills me, it's almost the middle of the night. I have to get The Operator to take her back. Things were going to go so smoothly, then we fucked up. I admit its probably my fault, as hard as it is to think.
She has a life, we can't just take that away from her.
"Tim!" I hear from down the hall. I jump up and rush to the door. I through it open and rush inside.
"What is it?"
"You turned the light off." She sheepishly mumbles. "It makes me uneasy."
That's right. How could I have forgotten? "I'll leave the light on. You need to get some sleep, alright?" I softly tell her.
"I can't." I walk over to where she sits over the covers on the bed.
"Why not?"
It takes her a minute to reply, but eventually after twirling her fingers and looking around, she finds her voice. "I'm scared." I'm overcome with the feeling of childhood, coming to mom or dad with nightmares or monsters under my bed.
"Well there's not a lot I can do about that." I scratch the back of my neck and try to think of an answer.
"I'm so tired, Tim. I just want to get one good night of sleep," she pleads. "Do you have any sedative? I'm not scared of needles." I think back, do we have sedative? Should I let her use it? She looks so tired and beat up. I'm sure she really needs to sleep and she won't if she's scared. I sigh lightly and nod, then get up to get the sedative. Elizabeth whimpers and I turn around. It takes her a moment, put she tears the blanket off the bed, wraps it around herself, and grabs my hand. I smile and lead her to the basement.
"There isn't a light down here." I warn her. She stops walking for a second then grips my hand tighter and keeps going. I grab the box of needles and small jars of various substances. Then I lead her to the ground floor, where the light from the kitchen gives a soft glow to the main room. There I look through the bottles, while Liz looks over her shoulders every few seconds.
"Here we go. Come here Elizabeth." I call her and she takes one last 360 before holding out her arm. I load up a clean needle then hold it to the injection site. She turns away slightly, and I press the plunger down releasing the sedative. I take the needle out and through it in the trash before leading a now tired Liz back to her room.
She curls up on the bed and promptly falls asleep, leaving a smile on my face. Although why passing out made her calm I have no idea. It's better than angry I guess. I softly close the door to her room, making sure to leave the light on. After turning around I almost walk into Ben.
"Woah, hi there." I whisper, even though there is no need.
"What did you put into her?" Ben asks angrily, holding up the discarded needle.
"She wanted a sedative so she could fall asleep for once, so I gave it to her." I reply honestly. I expect Ben to be angry or try to argue with me about how morally right or wrong it is, but he just nods in understanding.
"May I?" He points to the door. "She can't be mad at me if she's asleep. Please?"
After a moments thought I sigh. "You can be in there for an hour, and I'll be doing paperwork in there with you."
Ben nods and I retrieve the adoption papers from my room before letting us both into the guests room. Ben sits in front of Elizabeth's still form, while I sit in the corner, hunched over this stack of paper.