62- Disappointed

*** ZAVIYAAR SHEIKH ***

After Aalifa left, Saira wiped her tears and glared at me while I tried my best to pretend I didn't notice or to ignore her as her words barely matter to me after all.

"You were only waiting to give another woman my place, didn't you? Not seeing how much of a gold-digger, how manipulative or what an actress she would be. You just wanted to degrade me, didn't you?" She scowled.

Sighing at her outraged comment, I replied coldly, "And who is it who led me to this point, Saira?"

She glared at me but I continued nonetheless, placing my hand over my waist with a dry smirk.

"Weren't you the one who let me become unfaithful? I was loyal until YOU told me to stay away. YOU told me to get anyone I want. YOU pushed me away."

"Then why now? Why did you do this and hide it from me and Mother?" She argued, rising from her seat again.

"It just happened at the spur of the moment." I muttered, rolling my eyes not in the mood to continue.

"Asad." Mother called sternly.

"Yes, Mother?"

"Take me to my room," She ordered, standing up with difficulty and I saw a hint of rage in her eyes too.

Knitting my brows, I turned to her and asked gently, clutching my shirt to hear her thoughts about my actions.

"Mother? Are you angry with me too?"

"Yes. You have disappointed me, Zaviyaar."

Of all people, I believed she wouldn't be angry at my felicity but I was proven wrong.

"W-What...?"

My eyes widened in incredulity, my lips quivered as an unwanted tear pricked in my eye.

For the first time, I did something for myself, without thinking about anything or anyone. For the first time, I gave myself a portion of happiness; even if it was fake.

Knowing it was wrong yet I grasped that opportunity and her words stabbed through my chest.

"I see. I apologize that I hurt you but you must accept Aalifa." I declared with a tear rolling down my cheek to show her how much it hurt me.

But, I won't regret my decision.

Taking a step back, I turned my head away, wiping that tear which Asad noticed and I couldn't place my heartbreak into words when she who prayed for me spoke this.

"Ya Allah. What that woman has to do to you to make you this blind for her?" Saira growled.

Disliking my undeniable inclination towards Aalifa but my heart had gone beyond convincing. I couldn't fathom anyone but her anymore.

Curling my lips in a dry smile, I knew whatever I would say wouldn't reach them; they wouldn't understand so I only lowered my gaze.

But, to my surprise, Asad replied in my stead. That one word I told him.

"Everything."

Astonished, we all turned to him. He held an unreadable expression on his face, holding Mother's hands.

"Asad?"

Hardening his looks, he glanced at everyone in the hall and declared strongly, surprising all of us.

"Aalifa Bhabi had done more than we had ever done for Zaviyaar."

"I brought you two like my children and that is what you did to me?" Saira hissed.

"We are grateful to you but she is the woman my brother loves and nothing could top that." He announced, sending a shiver down my spine as my heart skipped a beat so madly that I felt numb.

I... Love?

"Zaviyaar, go and see Bhabi. We will talk to Mother and Saira Bhabi."

Following Asad's trails and trusting his words, Erhan also spoke up but the sting I received at Mother's words was inexplicable.

It pierced and stayed. I doubt I could force myself to forget that I disappointed her after doing everything possible for the family.

"I... am sorry." I apologized, looking down to suppress my tears.

"You don't have to be sorry about anything. You have all the rights to make decisions for your happiness, especially when Saira Bhabi herself allows you to keep another woman." Asad growled, ending his glare.

"Exactly. So what's the problem here? He had his first wife's permission. Why are you jealous of his happiness?" Erhan scoffed too.

Flabbergasted, I didn't know for how long they kept those words inside them and the second they got the chance they took it out.

Mother scowled and pushed Asad away angrily.

"Still his actions are wrong and if you support him then leave me too. I condemn this. That woman is a stain on our family. A mistake."

"Can't you see she is making him happy?!" Asad argued and before Mother could speak another statement that could hurt me in an irrecoverable way, I pointed my finger at Asad.

"Asad," I called him sternly, shaking my head in denial to not argue with her.

He narrowed his eyes desperately, warning to defend me in my time of need but if I had turned out to be a horrible son- they didn't have to.

"And can't you see he had responsibilities he must fulfill and not go head over heels over a mere woman?" Saira burned me.

I knew I won't argue with Mother but she would regret making any insensitive sentence. Inhaling sharply, I glared at her, announcing unwaveringly.

"She is 'not' a mere woman. She never was or will be."

I had no shame or regrets in marrying her, I had wholeheartedly accepted her.

"Because she lives in your heart?" Saira scoffed.

"No." I smirked, glancing at Mother and then at Saira.

Pausing for a few seconds, I converted my smirk into a genuine smile as I proclaimed the position Aalifa held in my gloomy life.

"Because she is Noor-e-Jaan; light of life. My Noor-e-Jaan; light of 'my' life."

Not caring or hearing anything as it would only hurt me, my steps retreated and holding a never-ending glare, I gave them a final look of being hurt and went to mine and Aalifa's room.

Standing outside the room, I took a deep breath to empty my mind but to no avail. My chest was in the claws of pain for what Mother said.

It was hurting me.

Nonetheless, bearing with the weight as usual I 'must' remain strong, I 'must' not fall apart, I entered the golden room after years.