128

Jennie

For this meat-packed crowd, I focused on the stress relief angle and the physical benefits of working and loosening their large and small muscles, challenging their stabilisers. I replaced the Sanskrit words with their English counterparts and directed my cues at specific anatomical terms. My lavender towels were traded in for dimmed lights, and my Chakra focuses smoothed into controlled breathing and silent rest.

My first challenge was ensuring that the room's elephant-sized egos were checked at the door. Setting aside their ingrained cocky confidence and opening up their minds to acceptance of their circumstances instead of forcing control over them wouldn't happen overnight... but I had six months this year, and three years after that, to win them over. The fact that my contract with Houston fell on the same timeframe as Lisa's was no coincidence. We shared the same agent, after all.

I didn't expect everyone on the team to buy into yoga's philosophies, but I pushed down the flutters under my skin and forced a smile. "I'm sure you're all waiting to hear what my expectations are for all of you, especially for this class. Expectations belong out there..." I pointed to the door, then palmed my heart. "Connecting starts here."

The reassurance that only a slow, and deep breath ensured washed through me. "Your body is your best teacher if you're willing to listen to it, but I'm here to teach you how to listen. Our bodies are smart and will tell us what they need."

"Sit comfortably on your mat, take in a slow, and deep breath." I fanned my arms wide, my fingertips skimming the air. "Push the air away."

I compressed my abdomen and raised my hands overhead to a warm stretch in my spine. A sea of muscular arms mirrored the movement, with a smattering of joint cracks that was music to my ears.

The first collective breath in was... beautiful in its simplicity.

"Gather in the room's air, then push it out. Use the breath to steady your mind, and slowly let go of the distractions outside this space..."

As expected, I hadn't won over every Skeptical Sam on the turf, which became horrible for balance poses. But these athletes were professionals who understood the benefits of stretching. That I could start with.

What needed a larger adjustment - blatantly, by the swipe of her bear paw over her crotch - was the heated looks Lisa gave me during class. She had enough sense to keep to herself until my back hit the door of her car, and she slotted that hard evidence into the thin barrier of my pants.

"Can you drive home with that stick shift, baby?"

My teasing earned me a challenging, yet determined look, but her warm smile at my use of 'home' prevailed. Not her home, but ours. Her hand took mine and squeezed it. "Proud of you, darling."