Chapter 86

“Danzo wants to make the Leaf Village his own, huh? You made preparations for that all by yourself...,” Sakura said.

“That’s their duty, whether we like it or not Sakura. It’s what the Anbu do. Go on dangerous mission and assassinate if ordered to,” I spoke in a matter of fact tone.

“How can you say something like that as if it’s nothing?!,” Sakura half shouted.

“Because it’s truth about Anbu. I have known that since we were little and have come to accept it even if it is wrong. Just because you don’t want to accept it, doesn’t mean anything is going to change,” I replied in a blank tone.

I didn’t like it either, but the work Anbu do is important and someone has to do it. I have come to accept that after the mulling over the Uchiha Massacre again and again. I recently realised that nii-san must have been ordered to do it by his superiors. By Danzo. But I didn’t have any proof, it was just a conclusion I drew with what I know about Anbu and nii-san.

“Y/n telling the truth. And this discussion isn’t going to help anyone,” Captain Yamato said.

Sai opened scrolls and explained how he shares info, “The information I wrote in black ink transforms into small animals... and carries the information out while protecting itself, you see. This ability of mine was valued highly... and so I was selected for this mission.”

“What information did you sent out just now?,” I asked.

“About the failure of my mission,” Sai replied, I narrowed my eyes at him with distrust.

“Many people will die, once again... if things become turbulent in the Leaf Village! Do you even know why you’re doing this?!,” Sakura asked.

“No idea... They’re my orders, so...,” Sai replied.

“Let me tell you one more thing... Sai is the name I was given just for this mission... I’m nobody. I’m a tool for Lord Danzo. I don’t exist. So no matter what you say to me, it’s pointless,” Sai said.

Haku’s face flashed through my mind for a second as sadness filed me. “Then... Then why... do you hold on to that picture book with such care?!,” Sakura asked.

I looked at Sai in realisation as his eyes widened. ‘That true. No one is able to completely suppress their emotions no matter what. There will always be at least a hint of emotion in their actions or words or something! How could I forget something so important’ I thought to myself.

Sai stared at his book. “The two kids on the cover... are you and your older brother, right? You’re holding on to that picture book with such care... because it’s the only thing that proves your existence, isn’t it? You haven’t been able to discard your emotions as completely as you say. Even shinobi can’t completely discard their emotions. As proof of that... when I handed the picture book to you earlier... You said thanks and took it. You were relieved to get back... the picture book that can prove your existence,” Sakura said.

“Why does having this picture book prove my own existence?,” Sai asked.

“The reason why you don’t want to part with that book... is that you can’t forsake yourself as a younger brother... Do you know why?,” Sakura asked.

Sakura’s question was met with silence, and she continued, “It’s because your bonds with your older brother... were that important to you! You don’t want to erase the bonds you have with your older brother...”

Sai looked down at the book in his hand, then back up, mumbling, “Bonds...”

“Sorry, but we had a look inside the picture book. Only the picture in the center-facing pages is unfinished. Sai... I also know that you’re from The Foundation,” Captain Yamato said. Naruto and Sakura looked at captain.