Chapter 29

~ Flashback ~

3rd POV

One late afternoon, when y/n had just become friends with Choji a few days ago. Shikamaru had invited them to practice with him at his house. (3 years before graduation)

“Hey, Dad. I bought my friends home. We’ll be in the backyard training for a bit”, 9 years old Shikamaru said.

“Okay!”, Shikaku shouted from a room as he went through some papers.

Shikamaru led Choji and y/n to the backyard. There stood a tree with target marked on it. Y/n taking the lead removed her shuriken and kunai. Practicing with them.

Choji and Shikamaru joined her and it was turned into a competition by y/n as the boys tried not to let their egos get hurt for being defeated by a girl. Yoshino returned from shopping and saw Shikamaru with Choji and a girl.

Yoshino went and prepared 3 glasses of juice and bought them to the yard. “Alright. Enough practicing and come here”, Yoshino said.

The kids turned their head at the voice and moved towards her. Yoshino handed them a glass each as they sat down.

“Thank you Mrs. Nara”, Y/n thanked Yoshino.

“Oh my. What a well mannered young girl, you are. Learn something from her Shikamaru. Oh! Please just call me Yoshino. Mrs Nara makes me feel so old”, Yoshino said.

Y/n chuckled, “Okay. Can I call you Aunt Yoshino?”

“Of course, dear. Now drink up”, Yoshino said.

Y/n drank her glass and kept it with others. Hearing chatter outside, Shikaku left the room to see what’s going on.

“What’s going on here?”, Shikaku asked going to the backyard. He raised his eyebrow when he saw a girl with Yoshino as it was a rare sight to see a girl in their house as no one other than Ino ever visited them. 

“Oh, Shikaku. It’s nothing. We were just chatting as they took a break”, Yoshino said.

“Hello Mr. Nara”, Y/n bowed in greeting.
“Hello. Just call me Shikaku. So what’s your name?”, Shikaku asked.

“Ah. I’m sorry I didn’t introduce myself before. My name is Y/n Haruno”, Y/n introduced.

“Oh… so you are Mebuki’s daughter”, Yoshino said.

“Yes. I have a twin older sister too. Her name is Sakura. We look really similar so you might get confused between us”, Y/n told them.

“Yes. I do remember hearing Kizashi having twins back then”, Shikaku nodded.

“This is a drag… Come on y/n. Let’s practice a bit more”, Shikamaru shouted already near their practice spot with Choji.

“Coming!”, y/n said cheerfully.

Then she removed a small bag from her weapon pouch and held it open towards both Older Nara’s. They blinked at her surprised.

“Um… I always give candies to new people… like it’s a symbol of friendship to me. Like… to give and share sweets”, little y/n said a bit nervously since she was being kind of informal.