Chapter 40

Kelly's POV

Who does he think he is to tell me what to do?! I almost got up and left just to spite him. Unfortunately, as soon as I was standing my side was throbbing in pain, so I laid back down on the bed. Maybe after I get some blood, I'll have the  energy to leave this place. 

It's been like 10 minutes already! It's not that hard to find an animal! I was getting tired so I closed my eyes. I figured I could just rest them for a few minutes until he got back.  

You ar-

If tha-

You'll forg-

You've ma-

I quickly woke and sat up right, breathing heavily. Was that a dream? If so, it was a really weird one. I mean I only got little fragments of whatever it was. I think there was a woman's voice? And the person was blurry, I couldn't tell who it was. If it was even a person.

I looked frantically around the room to see if anyone was here. I spotted Xavier sitting in a chair next to my bed. He seemed to be asleep. I'm not sure how, hospital chairs are SO uncomfortable.

I also noticed the bag of blood on the little table beside him. It was in an IV looking bag, like it came from the hospital.

I was so focused on the blood bag that I didn't notice Xavier had woken up until his hand came into view and grabbed the bag. He got up from the chair to hand it to me.

"Here you go." He said as I took it from him. 

"Why is it in a blood bag?" I asked him.

"Well I caught a deer, but I didn't want to kill it, so I had a nurse get the blood out and into the bag. Now you have blood and the deer still exists." He explained and shrugged his shoulders as if it was no big deal.

"You know that another animal will kill the deer right? Just because you didn't doesn't mean its life won't end." I explained just hoping to burst his smug little bubble.

"I know. But at least that's nature being nature. I don't want to disrupt that." He said. Goddess it was irritating that I couldn't upset him. I know it's rude, but I enjoy making people mad.

I used the straw that sat on the table next to me to puncture the blood bag. I sipped a small amount and hummed from the loss of hunger I was feeling. 

I could quickly sense that my vampire side was retracting itself from the forefront of my mind. Once the bag was finished I took a deep breathe and opened my eyes, not realizing I had shut them in the first place.

Xavier was still sitting in the chair, but seemed to be holding back a laugh. I didn't understand why. 

"Enjoy that?" He said, still stifling a laugh.

"I did..." I said hesitantly.

"Looks like it." He smiled, not outright laughing. 

I looked down and noticed how much I had managed to spill on myself. Turns out, I was a messy eater.

I simply kept a straight face, shrugged, and replied with, "worth it."