A Scythe's Heart

Caera Denoir POV

The cheers from the Victoriad echoed through the air as the citizens of Alacrya watched another match come to an end. Their feet drumming on the floor shook the walls as they clapped with delight.

A small smile graced my lips as I looked at the crowd from my private skybox, which was given to the scythes. The room in the skybox was quite large, with a couch, a bathroom, and a small kitchen area. It was designed to help us feel comfortable as we watched the matches, and we could even have guests over to watch with us.

I was currently sitting on the said couch, sitting back, feeling totally relaxed. The last of the primary matches today had come to an end, and now, they were going to start setting up for the match expressly for me.

My eyes flicked up to the skybox at the very top of the Victoriad, which towered above all the rest. That skybox was explicitly designed for the royal family, which consisted of the High Sovereign, the Queen, and the Princess.

The story of the High Sovereign was a tragic one but well-known across Alacrya. The story of how he was banished from his homeland after his clan, the Vritra, was slaughtered, and he sought refuge here. Over time he became our leader and helped our race advance, and gave us a new magic system. The surviving members of his clan fell in love with the people here and joined in matrimony, which resulted in people being born with Vrtira blood, such as myself. Those with more potent blood have horns, like me, and can be incredibly powerful with the Vritra decay magics.

Now, we live in a time of peace and prosperity, all because of him. I've only met the High Sovereign a few times, and each time I could tell he was a kind man who cared deeply for his family and people.

*Knock* *Knock*

The knocking at the door broke my thoughts, and I looked over my shoulder.

"Shall I answer that, Scythe Caera?" A familiar voice sounded beside me.

My eyes fell on a young orange-haired girl name Nessa who stood there with a bright smile. Nessa was a maid in my family and one I considered a good friend. When I earned my title as a Scythe three weeks ago, I had her assigned to me as my personal attendant.

I smiled back amusingly with a raised brow, "I thought I told you to just call me Caera."

Nessa chuckled, "You did, but it feels weird."

I shook my head playfully, "Yes, can you please answer it."

Nessa nodded and walked toward the door with a bright hop in her step. I chuckled, seeing how excited she was, before looking back to the arena, seeing everyone getting the area ready for the next match.

I heard the sound of the door opening behind me, "Oh! Good afternoon, Scythe Seris!" Nessa greeted.

My eyes widened with joy, and I shot up from my couch. I turned toward the door, and my eyes fell on Scythe Seris as she walked in.

Scythe Seris was in charge of the Sehz-Clar dominion and had two long obsidian horns coming out of her forehead that glowed like precious stones, contrasting her pearl-colored hair that flowed past her narrowed shoulders. She looked to be no older than me and had a thin frame. Her lips were stained with a purple paint flecked with gold, which matches her dark eyes and polished alabaster-like skin.

I smiled brightly, "Scythe Seris!"

Scythe Seris gave a small smile, "Caera, titles are no longer necessary. We are equal in rank, after all. Please, just call me Seris."

My eyes flicked to Nessa, who was standing to the side. Her lips curved down as she tried to hide a laugh, and she quickly covered her mouth. She most likely found it amusing since I basically told her the same thing a few seconds ago.