Relief & Tense

For once in his life, Miguel feels lighter than air. A voice calls out to him that he couldn't understand until she gets closer.

"Tio Mike!"

He blinks numerous times from seeing Clarice. She was not what he saw in his nightmares. No bullet wounds on her tiny body. She boops his nose like she always did. His dark chocolate eyes brighten up from seeing her again. He wraps his arms around her. Tears run down from taking her in.

"I'm so sorry!"

"What for?"

He boops her nose. "It-It's just been a while."

"Tia Elena misses you."

His eyes widen before forming a smile. "She's here?"

"Mama and Papa missed you too. Your daughter is also here. Come with me!"

She pulls him up like he was a feather.

"Daughter?"

The pleasant feeling of this place almost envelops him. His footsteps are actually gliding on air.

"She missed you for so long. You look tired. Rest, Tio Mike. We can play later."

His feet stop. Clarice looks back at him. His lips quiver. He wants to see his unborn child, but the woman with emerald eyes needs him. Soft arms wrap around Clarice's torso.

"Forgive me, sobrina (niece). I promise to stay next time. Bianca needs me. I can't let her down."

His fingers drift away. He squeezes his eyes to imagine Signora Orchidea. Her coldness and warmth. The soft touch of her fingers that he can feel on his right hand....

Miguel's eyes open for real. His eyelids heavier than anchors. The lights force him to blink numerous times. Colors and silhouettes are all around him. The sensation of soft fingers helps his vision settle in. His head is pounding akin to a jackhammer. A sharp breath makes him wince.

"Miguel?" Bianca's voice reaches him.

"Give him some time," the doctor tells her while dimming the lights. "El Segador, do you know how many fingers I'm holding up?"

He's seeing more than double of the doctor. "There's... too many."

The masked doctor sighs. "Do you remember what happened to you?"

His eyes look up and to the left. "I....was in a fight. I won on behalf of Orchidea. It...wasn't easy."

Bianca exhales with relief.

"You might have suffered a concussion. I'm giving you a liquid drip of ibuprofen to help with the pain. But you must not fall asleep for now. My staff and I will monitor you for 24 hours for any other symptoms. Then it's 3-6 weeks of a medicine regimen after that."

"Let me help," Bianca proposes.

"Signora, that isn't wise. Especially after what you told me."

"I..fuck. I will be okay," Miguel manages to get out.

Her emeralds stare at him. He can see her pupils wavering from the guilt eating away at her. That it's her fault that he's like this.

He grasps her fingers. "I came back....because of you."

Her heart almost skips a beat. An exhale breaks out of her lips. She wants to kiss his pain away, but she didn't want to break their promise. Her emeralds freeze over.

"Get well soon, El Segador. I will need you as soon as possible."

"Si (Yes)."

She turns to the doctor and demands to know any updates to his condition. No matter what time of day it is. Her heels click away with anger and guilt dragging her.